18

Yukii's POV:
Beel: we're having a surprise inspection...!
Luke: a surprise inspection? What do you mean?
Beel: I mean exactly what I said.Lucifer shows up unannounced, and goes around checking each room to see if anyone is out pass curfew.
I know that Mary would get in deep trouble if she decided to sneak out...
Luke: oh.in that case, all I have to do is hide,right? Maybe under the bed, behind the curtains—
Beel: oh no. You'll have to do WAY better than that. Lucifer does more than check to see if everyone's in their rooms. He also searches the inside of the room itself. Asmodeus had a witch that he'd brought back home one night in his room. She transformed into a spider and hid, but Lucifer still found her.
Holly shit.
Luke: wha...?! Why does he have to go such lengths? We didn't have anything like that at purgatory hall!
Beel: that's because you don't have lucifer living with you at purgatory hall. He originally started it because mammon kept sneaking out after curfew and coming home late. And he'd hide stacks of unpaid bills in his room so no one could find them.
Luke: Ugh...Mammon that IDIOT!
Beel: there will be time to blame mammon later. Right now you need to hide. Get in the closet.
Luke: whats the point of me hiding In the closet?! I mean, you said he even found a witch that had transformed herself into a spider, right?!
Beel: well, if you keep standing there doing nothing, he'll find you for sure. I'll think up some excuse to keep him from looking in there. Now hurry!
Beel opens the door to his closet and almost throws Luke in it. Ouch..?
Luke: G'ah...mmph!
I wince slightly. The door opens and I turn around.
Mom I'm scared..
lucifer:...Alright...inspection time.Beel,Yukii. I see you are both here. I'm going to have a look through your room to be certain everything's in order here. But before I do, is there anything you'd like to tell me?
I shake my head.
Me: n-no.
Lucifer: i see. Beel, open up the closet.
My blood runs cold and I freeze.
What..How.
Beel: there's nothing in there but Belphie clothes—
Lucifer: didn't you hear me? Open it.
Beel:...
With that, beel opens the door, revealing the inside of the closet...
my eyes go wide and I blink multiple times.
Where is Luke?
Beelzebub looks as confused as I am..if not even more..
Lucifer: Well, it seems you really aren't hiding a puppy in here. I guess it was just a rumour then.all right, that wraps up my inspection. Both of you make sur to go to bed early.
Lucifer walks out the door but my brain still wonders, where did Luke go?
Beel: Luke disappeared. Weird...I know I pushed him into the closet a minute ago..what's going on?
Where could he have gone...?
~the next day~
Beel: Luke never did come back last night. You saw him too right, Yukii? You saw me push I'm in the closet. Then why did he just Va—
Simeon: Well, Hello Beel,Yukii. Good to see you.
I know that Mary would kill to be here right now.
Simeon: you two are looking after Luke,Right? I hope he isn't causing you too much trouble. I'm sorry you two had to get caught up in our private squabble. I tried to stop him before he could run off, but Luke is just too quick, I'm afraid. I'd appreciate if you could take care of him until he's ready to come back again. Thank you both.
We both stay silent and just look at simeon.
What can we say?? That we lost Luke?? Should we tell him?
Simeon: Luke can be a real handful. He's still young and immature as angels go, and he knows little of the world. So, he tends to judge everything in life from the perspective of the celestial realm, using its logic. Thought that's also one of the positive things about Luke. He's honest, genuine and he adheres to a strict set of values that he doesn't break.
Simeon lets out a small laugh and I blink multiple time.
That was cute.
Simeon: when the two of us were originally chosen for the exchange program in the devildom, he was extremely upset and depressed. It was hard for him. But personally, I thought that studying in the devildom would be a good opportunity for Luke. Here, Luke is able to to come in contact with demons as well as human students like you, Yukii. It's a chance for him to expand his perspective. And on top of that, it's my hope that he'll be able to grow as an angel as well. I'm guessing Michael must have felt the same way, which is why he choose Luke for this program. Thought Luke himself still hasn't figured that out.
Me: t-then why not tell him?
Simeon: I believe this is true in the human world too, but some supervisors like to teach the people they lead directly—to give them the answer they need. But other supervisors like to make those they lead think for themselves and have them figure things out on their own. I belong to the latter group. I like to sit back and watch Luke find the answer on his own.
Mary: you really are a great leader Simeon!
I jump. Where did she even come from?!
Simeon laughs slightly.
Simeon: Hello Mary. And thanks you. Thought I'm not sure if Luke would agree with you.
He turns his gaze on Beel and me again.
Simeon: if you find yourself unable to put up with him anymore, go ahead and kick him out. I'm sure he'll come back to me if he has no place else to go. Well then, I'll be seeing you.
He leaves and give Mary a smile. She looks at us confused.
Mary: what where you three even talking about?
In the end, neither of us were able to tell Simeon about how Luke had disappeared.
Beel:...we'd better track down Luke ASAP.
I nod hurriedly.
Me: yes.
Mary: Luke? What about that chihuahua?
~time skip~
Beel: from the look on your face, I guess he wasn't on the second floor either, huh?
I shake my head.
Beel: although honestly, it really isn't possible to search all of the second floor since my brothers' room are comprise most of it. Well, I didn't find him either. I looked all over the first floor, but I didn't see him anywhere.
What if he was in the attic...
beel: we should try on more time. This time you look one the first floor, Yukii, and I'll search the sec—
Satan: So, you're looking for something, are you? What are you two whispering about?
I accidentally let a strange noise slip past my lips. Why do they always appear out of nowhere!
Beel: I don't know what you mean. We aren't whispering.
Satan smiles.
Satan: oh yes you are. And you'd better give me the truth, or I might have to go tell Lucifer about this.
I don't know what to say... I really don't know.. I look up at Beel and let him handle it I guess?
Beel: we are looking for a dog named Luke.
!!!
He's so not discreet about it!!
Satan: so you really are hiding a dog in your room then... I did think it was awfully strange that you didn't finish your breakfast. I won't say anything to lucifer about this, but after you've had your fun with this dog of yours, you need to get rid of it.
Satan walks away and I look at beel.
Beel:...looks like we managed to worm our way out of that somehow, huh...
Me: that wasn't Subtle at all thought!
Beel: yeah..we better find Luke fast.
If someone else ends up discovering him before we do, there's a good chance it'll spell trouble for us.
~
Beel: it's strange that we still haven't found him even after searching for all this time. If we assume he left the house of lamentations, then did he go back to the purgatory hall, or could he have gone somewhere else?
Me: I have no idea...
Beel:Still, we definitely hid him in the closet. I know we did. So even if he did go somewhere else, it's weird that he disappeared while instead the closet. Could Luke be somewhere inside the house of lamentations?
It reminds me..there's a decorative dollhouse of the house of lamentations in the entrance hall...an exact copy..
beel: wait a second. Look at the dollhouse here!...That's strange. There's an extra room here, one that doesn't exist.