[ 2 ]

MINA

White

That was the first thing I saw when I open my eyes. I take a breathe and I know I'm still alive. This four cornered white room surrounds me. I heard beeping sound from the Heart Monitor. I felt my whole body ache lightly but it is tolerable. I look around but no one is here with me.

I was disappointed that I'm still alive but I'm worried and curious about the other person that I crashed into.

Was he or she alive? What if the person died because of me? Guilt flashes through me. My eyes starts to water but I held it in. Biting my lower lip as I control my emotion. This is not what supposed to happen. Am I that unlucky? Am I the one causing the these misfortune?

I stop my internal battle when the door opens showing a nurse. She was shocked upon seeing me.

"She's awake. You're awake. I'll call the doctor." still shocked but she immediately walk out.

A few minutes later she return with the doctor and another nurse. They approached me as the doctor started checking my condition.

She asked some few question which I answered.

"You're lucky. Both of you are." the doctor named Mr. Yoo based on the embroided name in his lab gown.

"The person I crashed into?" I asked.

"Yes"

"How is he?" I asked worriedly.

"It's a she. She is fine but-" he stops which makes me looks at him expecting him to continue.

"She don't remember anything." he said.

"What do you mean?" I'm worried. So much. This is my fault.

"She has an amnesia. We are able to get her name with the ID she has on her belongings. We tried calling the emergency contact person on one of her IDs but it's unreachable. We just contacted police officer if there will be someone who will came looking for her. But for now she had no one. She is a Korean and hopefully she is with someone here and not on an alone vacation here in Japan. " he said sadly.

I turn my gaze outside the window as I think about what he said. This is not good. Definitely, if she is alone here then no one can take care of her which she needs especially her having amnesia. Yesterday's incident replays on my mind.

"We already called your parents and they are on their way here." he said. As he was about to walk away, I asked him.

"What's her name?"

"Chaeyoung. Son Chaeyoung. She is currently taking a rest." he answered and walks out of the room with the two nurses.

.
.
.
.
.

My parents arrived half an hour later. They were very worried and asked a lot of question about the incident. I reason out to them that I was not aware of the other car which is true though I didn't mention to them that I was speed driving and the real reason why am I in there in the first place. They believed me and stops questioning.

"Dad, can you check on the other patient named Son Chaeyoung. Please bill her hospital bills to me." I asked kindly as I yawn feeling tired.

"Don't worry. We'll take care of her. Just go take a rest." he assured as he pat my head and gave it a caring kiss. I nod in return and lie on my bed.

I told them about the condition of Ms. Son Chaeyoung. They are very understanding and worried about her too.

I know I'm the only one the woman can lean on. She's my responsibility now. I brought this upon her. I will help her until she recovers.

.
.
.
.
.

I woke up quarter to twelve noon. I ate the hospital food which taste bland but I tried eating at least half of it. My neck brace and arm sling for my left arm makes it hard for me to move but I at least can use my right hand.

I wanted to visit the other woman in her room but my parents told me to do that tomorrow since i still need to rest and Chaeyoung is resting too.

By the afternoon, some police came to questioned me. My uncle being the chief personally did the one on one interrogation. I asked him not to be accompanied by my parents. I don't want them to know the truth.

I did tell everything to my uncle. He was really close to me since I'm his only niece and he doesn't have a daughter so he treats me as one. He was really disappointed on me.

"I'm sorry" I said while looking down.

My uncle take a deep breath and place his hand on top of my shoulder. "I'll handle the police investigation. Don't worry about it. I'll try looking for the other kid's information and find any family members here but you need to take care of her personally for a meanwhile."

"Yes, Uncle. I'll take care of her." I promised.

A minute of silence before he spoke again.

"That kid saved you." he said grateful to her.

I turn my gaze at him. He is already looking at me with sadness.

"She was the one who brought you out of your car before fire broke out and called the emergency with all the energy she has left before she lost consciousness and fall with her head. The medics found both of you lying in the cold ground." he said before left me alone thinking about it.

She saved me.

Am I worthy?