6

Elijah

"Hey bud," mum said, sitting on the floor beside me, "Do you fancy a plain biscuit or something?"

"No,"

"Okay,"

"Sorry,"

"You don't need to be sorry. I heard you had a tough morning, I'm glad you got that,"

"I'm sorry for being a bad kid,"

Instead of saying anything, she put her arm around me and kissed my head, scratching my head. Strangely, she sniffed, and I looked up to see her tearing up.

"You're not a bad kid," she said, shaking her head, "Don't let people tell you that you're a bad kid because you don't fit in with what they want. Dad and I love you lots, even if you've only been here a few days,"

"Okay,"

"I'm sure things haven't been easy for you lately, but we are here to love you. Our main priority is just to love you and show you that. We choose to invite people into our home, and you deserve to be here,"

"I'm tired,"

"You can have a sleep, it's only me, Kaykay and Sierra here. I'll wake you up later and we can pick up Jasper and Lauren,"

"So you really don't think I'm bad?"

"Not at all. Do you think that will help you feel more settled in, like you can be part of our family?"

"That's a big question,"

"I'll leave it with you,"

Tucking me in, she left to go into an office, and I feel asleep shortly after. My whole body felt weak and tired, and I was mentally exhausted from everything.

Mum came back and woke me up a little bit later, and I sat up, my head spinning. She looped her arm through mine and we walked out of the building, into her car.

"Did you have a good nap?"

"Yeah,"

"Good. I got a message to say your packages have arrived which is exciting,"

"What if nothing fits?"

"Then we send it back and order again,"

I sat in the front of the car and took a sip of water, watching out the window as we drove towards Lauren's nursery. When we got there, mum went to pick her up, and she got into her car seat with the biggest smile ever.

About school, which I wouldn't understand.

"Mummy, I have a card!"

"You what?! That is so beautiful,"

"It's my hand as a chicken,"

"Yeah, I can see. You're very good at art,"

Erupting into giggles, she kicked her legs up and down as mum strapped her in the car.

"Get Jasper please,"

"We're on the way,"

"I want Jasper,"

"Lauren, you do this everyday!" she chuckled.

"Elijah feels better?"

"Not really," I sniffed, "But I haven't been sick,"

"Mummy, I made Elijah feel better in the night,"

"Dad told me, you're very kind,"

As we pulled up to the high school, I gulped, and watched all the kids walking out. There were so many of them, and they all had friends- I wouldn't fit in.