9

Elijah

When I woke up on Thursday, I felt a lot better. Physically, and mentally.

My throat wasn't too sore, and my head didn't hurt at all- my stomach didn't feel queasy either, I just felt worn out.

Yesterday, Luke had spoken to me firmly, but reassuringly about how mum and dad were, and some of the reasons why I should tell them when I'm hurting- even though I was still doubtful, I tried to be positive.

And it was hard, definitely, especially when I had to spend my day in the office, but once we'd picked up Jasper and Lauren again, I felt better.

"Hey, Elijah, how are you?" Jasper said.

"What about me?" Lauren whined.

"And you, but I know you're good because you're always good!"

"I'm okay," I shrugged, "Sorry I didn't speak to you guys much yesterday,"

When we'd got home yesterday, I'd gone to my room and blocked the door with my chest of drawers. I only came out because dad said it was my turn to shower and I had to stick to the deal.

They had let me eat tea in my room, which was really special to me because I was allowed privacy, and then I had slept and only say goodnight.

Today, however, I was hoping to be with Jasper a bit as he was being really kind to me.

"How much homework have you got to do bud?"

"Only a couple of pieces,"

"Oh good,"

"Mummy, it's almost the weekend,"

"It is, isn't that exciting? What are you going to do?"

"Play lots!"

"We'll see if Ashton can take you to the park,"

"Yes please, thankyou ,"

When we got home, I sat with Jasper at the table and watched him do school work, drinking the herbal tea mum had made me. Shortly after that, she came and helped me fill my pencil case, as well as a black backpack.

"We'll make you a packed lunch tomorrow, you're gonna be okay,"

"What if I'm bullied?"

"We've spoken to the headteacher because he was wondering about your grades and record, and he understands what things have been like. He said if anyone upsets you then you can go to his office and speak to him,"

"You can always hang out with me," Jasper grinned, "We'd enjoy the company,"

"Is it a big school?"

"Average, I'd say. But everyone is super nice,"

"Elijah!" Lauren said, climbing onto my lap, "You have a parcel!"

"Does he?" Mum said, "Show me,"

Jumping off my lap, she ran to the hallway, then came back with a package that mum opened.

"Oh look, they came just in time,"

She pulled out two binders, one black and one nude, which Lauren tried to grab; I pulled them away and stood, heading upstairs to my room.

Shakily, I unpackaged one of them and took my shirt off, shuffling it on. I was almost scared to look in the mirror, but when I did, I couldn't help but stare at myself.

It was so much flatter, and I put my shirt over the top, grinning when there was hardly anything noticeable.

"Mum! Mum!"