SOL...YWMA [Ch. 7]

Sooner or Later…You’ll Want Me Again

Previously: Alona came walking through the door. She was dressed in a red, fitted dress with black heels. "Kudos on your restaruants success Cory," I say to him. “What’s her name again? Adrianne?” Quentin asked when she was gone. “Andrea,” I corrected him. He nodded his head. “She seems popular,” he mentioned. “Oh yes, it’s football time,” Cory stated. My mind suddenly went to Quentin. Maybe playing football will get his mind off of the troubles he’s been having lately. Okay, I’ll play in order to cheer up my friend, although it won’t cheer him up when we whoop him and Cory, haha. “Sure, I’ll play football…game on, Cory!” I announced before descending down the stairs. He’s going down… I’m going to make sure we win this time. Game on indeed…

Chapter 7

I can feel my heart pounding with adrenaline and excitement. Standing in front of me, with his knees bent, ready for me to make a move, was Cory. I looked towards my far right, seeing Andrea trying to find and open space, but failing because Quentin kept blocking her. I looked ahead, down the field of grass towards Courtney. She had the ball in her hands, getting ready to throw it as we made I contact.

For a split moment it seems as though everything is in slow motion. I can feel the cool wind hitting my skin and pushing my hair around. I looked back at Cory, his hair getting tossed around also. He’s wearing a navy blue muscle shirt, showing the muscles that seem a lot more toned than I last remember.

I can see the readiness in his eyes, letting me know that whatever move I try to make, he’s going to intervene. I took a deep breath…

Then the next thing I know, I’m maneuvering around him, making a clear way for Courtney to throw the football. Just as Brent Daniels reached out to grab the ball from her, she threw it in the air towards me. I caught it and planned on making a run for the touchdown, but Cory stopped me by grabbing around my waist and lifting me off the ground.

“Where do you think you’re going?” he questioned in my ear as I was protesting that he was cheating. Andrea and Quentin both took off running towards me. Quentin’s a fast runner, but due to Andrea being a track star in high school, she was able to keep in pace with him. I held the ball out to her as she approached, but Quentin made it just seconds before she did and reached out for it.

Instead of letting him take it, I tossed it into the air. When it began retrieving down, Andrea caught it. Quentin was too stunned to react quickly enough to tackle her before she took off running towards the touchdown.

“Woo hoo! Touchdown!” Courtney shouted in excitement as she and Brent Daniels ran towards the rest of us. Cory yelled in disbelief as he lowered me back down to the ground and releasing me from his embrace. Everyone laughed as we saw Andrea do a little shimmy dance to celebrate our win.

Quentin looked at her as though she was crazy, but laughed anyway. “That’s seven to six. We won,” I pointed out the obvious to everyone. Since we’re playing neighborhood football, we count each touchdown as one point, going to an odd number.

“It’s just because we weren’t really giving it our all. If we actually played like we could have, y’all wouldn’t have even gotten one point,” Cory announced to us, while Brent Daniels and Quentin agreed. My team stopped and thought about what he said; making silence.

“Oh, boo-hoo! A win’s a win,” Courtney stated pragmatically. I laughed and raised my right hand to my forehead, making an ‘L’ shape with my index finger and thumb; saying that he was a loser. Cory chuckled and knocked my hand away. The six of us began walking towards the side of the field, where Alona was sitting on a bench texting away on her phone.