Chapter 1 "Discovery"

I let out a sigh as I watched the President talk to a group of reporters about the veins all around the city.

"Mr President, are you concerned that your approval ratings are now nearly as low as the Avatar's? Have you seen today's headline? It says "Raik-oh no. Polls pan pres' plans"." A reporter said calmly.

"I'm not concerned with snappy put-downs in the press. I'm facing this calamity just like every other citizen. There's a tree growing right through my office. You think I'm not doing everything I can to get rid of it?" Raiko said angrily.

I smiled as I saw Korra land beside him and mess up his hair. He glared at her and I held back a laugh.

"Avatar Korra, few questions please."

"Avatar Korra, do you regret the way you handled the Unalaq crisis?"

"Why are you forcing the integration of spirits in Republic City?"

"Listen, I've been trying everything I can think of to get rid of these vines, but-" Korra tried to explain.

Before she could finish thousands of reporters started to ask more questions.

"Why can't you fix this?"

"Are the vines here to stay?"

"Is this part of your New World Order?"

"Look, Harmonic Convergence was just a couple weeks ago. I just needed a little more time to get everything back to normal." Korra said softly.

"The Avatar has put us all in a very difficult position, but my administration-"

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I put you in a difficult position by fighting the giant force of pure evil that was going to destroy the whole world? Maybe your administration could have handled that." Korra said cutting off Raiko.

Lin quickly got between them and I let out a sigh.

"That's all, no more questions." Lin said sternly.

I watched as Raiko stormed off leaving Korra on the stage with Lin. I looked at Asami and she let out a sigh as we walked up to Korra.

"This is a disaster." Korra said softly.

"Don't worry, we'll figure something out." Asami said softly.

"Easy for you to say. You don't have my poll numbers. Eight percent approval? Who are they asking?"

"You can't take that to heart. People are just frustrated." I said as I gently touched her shoulder.

"I don't blame them. I should be able to fix this. I'm the Avatar." Korra said with a sigh.

"Korra, you can't keep putting so much on your plate. You can't do everything." I said as I sent her a reassuring smile.

We soon made our way to the house for dinner and I smiled as I saw Bumi and Tenzin talking.

"It's not a joke." Bumi said with a frown.

"What's up with him?" Korra asked as we set down.

I set down beside Bolin and took a sip of water.

"Bumi says he airbended earlier, but he can't now. Oh, and I guess he's not very good at knitting either. I gotta say, I love being a part of this family. You got the grumpy dad, the wacky uncle, the put-upon mom, crazy kids. Well, that's just great." Bolin said as the kids put chopsticks on both sides of his face.

I let out a light laugh and smiled as Meelo jumped over my head.

"Where's Mako?" Asami asked as she looked around.

"Oh, you mean the brooding teenager? He's staying in the police station." Bolin said with a frown.

"Still?" Korra asked shocked.

"I told him Tenzin invited us to stay here since our apartment is a vine habitat now, but, he said he had to focus on work." Bolin said calmly.

"Oh, did you see that? I think the napkin moved." Bumi said happily.

"You blew on it." Kya said with a frown.

"Wait! Maybe I can only do it when my life is in danger. Bolin, bend a giant boulder at me." Bumi said as he looked at Bolin.

"Yeah, I don't think that's a good idea."

"If you're going to be bending giant boulders, you can do it outside." Pema said with a frown.

"No one is bending giant boulders!" Tenzin yelled as he slammed his hands onto the table.

"Look alive, Uncle Bumi!" Meelo yelled as he threw a plate at him.

Bumi quickly raised his hands up and my eyes went wide as he stopped the plate in a ball of air.

"I told you!" Bumi yelled.

We looked at him shocked and my mouth fell open.

"Unbelievable. You're actually an airbender." Tenzin said in shock.

"Wait 'till I tell Mom, she's gonna love this." Bumi said happily.

Bumi quickly lost control and the plate fell to the ground and shattered. We soon went outside and I let out a laugh as I saw Bumi try to airbend again.

"Ugh, I can't figure this thing out." Bumi said with a groan.

"Do you think being in the Spirit World during Harmonic Convergence could have given him bending?" Korra asked softly.

"I suppose it's possible." Tenzin said as they watched Bumi.

"Maybe Uncle Bumi is just a late bloomer." Ikki said softly.

"I have been noticing a change in your aura lately." Kya said as she looked at him.

"And you didn't tell me?" Bumi asked with a grumble.

"Invisible spirit monster attack?" Lin asked with a frown.

"Lin, you won't believe this. Bumi just started airbending." Tenzin said happily.

"I'm afraid he's not the only one." Lin said softly.

"What?" Tenzin and Korra asked in shock.

"I got a call last night. About a guy who just started airbending out of nowhere." Mako explained.

"You mean there's another one? Where is he now?" Tenzin asked with a frown.

"He ... blew a door down on me and got away. We got an all-points bulletin out on him right now." Mako said softly.

"Wait, we'll help you look for him. Where should we start?" Korra asked as she looked at Mako.

"Oh, well, y'know, you should leave it with the police. It's ... police business. Y'know. It's um ... official." Mako said as he scratched the back of his head:

"Okay. How are you doing? You know, you're welcome to stay here instead of sleeping at the police station." Korra asked softly.

"No, I'm fine. I should just, get going. So, as you were ladies." Mako said before walking away.

"Guess, I'm going to.. help Bumi learn the basics of Airbending." I said with a sigh.

"Oh this is gonna be great! My favorite airbender gets to teach me how to airbend!" Bumi exclaimed as he pulled me against him.

"Pe...ma... save... me!" I gasped out.

She let out a laugh and shook her head as she walked away.