Chapter 5 "Metal Clan"

We left to find another airbender and I felt my heart drop upon seeing Lin. She explained to us how a group of criminals were hunting Korra and she needed to bring her back. We stopped for a break and I watched Korra play fetch with Naga.

"While you're playing fetch, four of the most dangerous criminals are hunting you down. We should get moving." Lin growled out.

"Relax, we just got here. Besides, no one knows where I am except us. I think she wants you to throw it for her." Korra said as Naga nudged Lin with He ball.

"I'll pass, thanks." Lin said as she glared at Naha.

I shook my head and grabbed the ball and threw it. Naga quickly took off and I let out a light laugh.

"My woman has an arm on her." Bolin said as he wrapped his arm around me.

I rolled my eyes and leaned into his touch.

"We just got a call from the radio about another airbender." Asami said as she and Mako stepped off the ship.

"Finally! Where are they?" Korra asked happily.

"A city called Zaofu, the home of the Metal Clan." Mako explained.

I saw Lin's face change to one of annoyance and I turned to look at her.

"You know the place?" Korra asked softly.

"Uhh ... Never been there. But I don't want you going there. I would rest a lot easier if you were back at Republic City." Lin said sternly.

"Sorry, if there's an airbender in Zaofu, then that's where we are going next." Korra said as she went to the ship.

Naga returned and I rubbed under her chin.

"Lets go girl." I said as I led her inside.

I set beside Bolin and put my legs on his lap. I smiled as I looked over at him.

"I love you." Bolin said with a smile.

"Love you too." I said as I set up and gently kissed him.

He smiled against my lips and pulled me closer. We soon arrived and I looked out the window.

"Wow! Wow! Wow! An entire city made of metal! Wohoho, you should feel right at home, Beifong." Bolin said as he looked at her.

She shrugged her shoulders and we landed. I watched Bolin run off the ship and I shook my head.

"Yeah!" Bolin yelled.

"Aren't you coming?" Asami asked as she stopped to look at Lin.

"What's there to see? It's metal. Big whoop. Just find the airbender and let's get moving. Don't tell anyone I'm here." Lin said sternly.

"Why not?" Korra asked with a frown.

"I don't need to explain myself to you. Just do what I say."

"Fine. You got it, Chief Crankypants." Korra said as we got off the airship.

We stepped off and I frowned as I saw a man waiting for us.

"Avatar Korra. It is an honor to meet you. My name is Aiwei." The man said with a bow of his head.

"Thanks for having us." Korra said as she bowed her head.

"Is this everyone?" He asked softly.

"Yup. Just us. So, can I meet the new airbender?" She asked with a smile.

"Of course, right this way." He said as he turned and led us away.

We got into a train and I set beside Bolin.

"That statue honors the first metalbender, Toph Beifong, who expanded the possibilities of what benders were capable of. Here, everyone is encouraged to reach his, or her, highest potential." Aiwei said calmly.

"Does Toph live here? Are we going to get to meet her?" Bolin asked happily.

"I'm afraid not. She would visit from time to time, but years ago she left to wander the world, in search of enlightenment. No one has seen her since." He explained.

The train continued and we soon saw a big house.

"Wow. Is this where the airbender lives?" Korra asked shocked.

"Yes. But first, her mother wants to meet you." Aiwei said calmly.

We made it inside and I looked around. I stopped and looked forward to see people dancing.

"Is this some kind of combat training?" Korra asked softly.

"Not exactly, they are rehearsing for a dance premiere next month." Aiwei said calmly.

"That's it for today everyone." The woman said as she stopped them.

She turned walked up to us.

"Allow me to introduce the matriarch of the Metal Clan, Suyin." Aiwei said softly.

"Please call me Su. Great to finally meet you, Avatar Korra. And this must be Akari, Mako, Bolin, and Asami." Su said with a smile.

"You've done your research." Mako said softly.

"I make it my business to know who's visiting my city."

"So, you're a dancer." Korra said softly.

"Dancer. Leader. Wife. Mother. Collector of rare meteorites. You'll find people here have many skills and interests." Su said with a smile.

Aiwei moved to her side and I watched as he whispered something to her. Su's smile disappeared and she sent us a frown.

"Korra, why did you lie when Aiwei asked if there was anyone else with you?" Su asked calmly.

"What? I, uh, I didn't. I mean ..."

I let out a sigh and crossed my arms over my chest.

"How did you know I was lying?" Korra asked with a sigh.

"I'm a truth seer. When people lie, their heart rate and breathing increase. I can sense the most subtle of changes." Aiwei explained.

"Thanks to Aiwei, there are no secrets in our city." Su explained.

"We came with Republic City's Chief of Police. She didn't want anyone to know she was here. I'm sorry I didn't tell you." Korra said as she slumped her shoulders.

"Lin's here? Well, I would love to say hello." Su said happily.

"Wait, you two know each other?"

"You're joking, right? Lin never told you about me." She said with a groan.

"No. Why would she?" I asked softly.

"I'm Lin's sister." She said as she looked away.