Memories

I sighed, looking back out the window. The stars didn't seem so beautiful anymore and the wind was colder. I'd just finished telling Clarisse about my visions of Tartarus. She listened silently as I recalled it to her. I could almost see her thoughts swirling behind dark eyes, her expression morphed from sadness to pity to anger.

"We should tell Tyson," Clarisse said.

I nodded absently before returning to my own thoughts. Clarisse left then and few minutes later she and Tyson shadow traveled back in.

"Clarisse told me," Tyson said as he walked slowly toward me, the shadows reaching for him. "I was afraid this might happen. Never the less we could use it to our advantage. I know it's dangerous but–"

"What're you talking about?" I interrupted them.

Clarisse narrowed her gaze toward him, "Tyson wants to use your visions as a way into Tartarus"

"What do you mean?"

"The next time you have a vision I want to channel your connection to Tartarus, it might help us free our friends sooner," Tyson explained.

"It's dangerous!" Clarisse objected. "What if Tartarus finds out and punishes Piper? It's not worth eavesdropping on him"

"If it'll help free Jason and my mom then I'll do it," I said.

Clarisse stared at me surprised then turned to Tyson, "what if something goes wrong?"

"Like what?" He asked.

"Well I don't know… how about all of us getting trapped in that hell hole or dieing!"

"Dieing isn't so bad when your immortal," Tyson answered defiantly.

Clarisse glared at him. "Tell that to the other gods suffering in Tartarus, including your brother and father!"

Tyson's face darkened as he held his head down. Without meaning to I saw a glimpse of his thoughts, it was a memory from when they were kids.

It was night time at camp half blood. Silvery moonlight shone through the windows and in the distance the waves pummeled the shore, the cool night wind carrying off its smell.

"You are mad?" Tyson asked. He lay on his bunk bed in the Poseidon cabin and was quiet in the dark. His body was too long for his bed and when he pulled up his covers, his feet stuck out.

"Nah. I'm not mad," Percy said. He looked young, obviously, but it still felt strange seeing him like that. His eyes were more piercing than I remember though still sad and unfocused and his hair, as always, was messy. Despite all that he looked happier than I remember him.

"I am a monster," Tyson said, his voice gravely and sad.

"Don't say that."

"It's okay." Tyson said, "I'll be a good monster. Then you won't have to be mad."

Percy stared at the silhouette of his little brother, "Tyson–" he said, his voice cracking as he searched for the right words. "It's just…I've never had a half brother before."

The vision ended as Tyson shook away the memory.

"I'm sorry," Clarisse said. "I shouldn't have said that. I had no right to."

"No. It's okay," Tyson said. "I'm the one that should apologise, I spoke without thinking. We both have friends confined to the pit, immortals cursed to suffer forever." His face was a veil of shadows but he sounded so crestfallen I could feel the sadness in his aura.