Nine

Naomi wasn't sure she could be even more disappointed in herself until Ginny spoke those words aloud. Of course she was more than aware she had not made the most conventional or smart choice. There had been plenty of other choices she could have made, but Naomi had convinced herself that this had been the best choice. Obviously it wasn't, she was aware of that she would be a fool to say to herself that this was the best choice she could have made. But she didn't want to let Ginny know that. 

Naomi could live with another person disappointed in her. After all she was sure her dearly departed mother was currently looking down upon her and shaking her head. After all Naomi was and would probably always be a follower. A sheep. She had let others control her life for so long now that it was so unlikely this was going to change. Sure Naomi could fight against them, her personality meant she wasn't completely down to let people walk all over her. She had much more control than that. However, she was more than suet seeing that no matter how much she protested that she would still have to follow through. Take the recent developments over the winter break as enough evidence of that. So she had just started to slowly give up. She would never get what she wanted so what was the point anymore. 

"I..." Naomi drew a blank as she pondered just how to respond to Ginny's last words to her. Her right hand moved to itch the mark upon her left forearm. She found as though the by being around Ginny that the mark itched as if she was being summoned. She was sure it was not, it was such an odd time for it to ache, she wouldn't be summoned personally if she was at school. But it was as if the mark could sense she was spending too much time with someone from the light side and was punishing her for doing so. 

"Naomi, I need to know why. No bullshit response this time, a proper reason. Once I have it we can go our separate ways for good like you want. But I refuse to leave with this reason." Ginny attempted to coax it out of Naomi. However, this did the opposite as Naomi could only freeze up more. She had no clue how she was supposed to do any of this. After all, how was she supposed to give a true reason without telling the real truth behind it all. For the differences which meant they wouldn't work out were not as simple as 'we want different things' or 'this is just a phase'. The differences went way out of what was considered normal for relationships at their age. 

"My, um, reason." It would appear that once again when stood trying to smooth talk Ginevra Weasley, Naomi's ability disappeared. These skills were what she needed right now desperately. More than anything else really. Something to explain why she did it without saying the true reason. A little white lie which would be so much better than the truth. The mark on her forearm was still giving Naomi trouble, and she pondered for a moment if that was because she was thinking heavily about it and therefore her body was trying to remind her the foreign magical ink stain was present. Of course that would take some actual thinking later on, but all she wanted to do now was itch at it, but that would involve the likely moving of her sleeve and giving away what was really going on. 

"Spit it out Ni, I'm not going to stand here all night and listen to you fumble and mumble your way around pathetic excuses. Tell me the truth." Ginny continued to press, the kind and soft approach she had once used was gone and the Ginny Naomi had first met when pulled into the classroom was back.Ginny tilted her head as she continued to stare at the girl awaiting some, any kind of response. Yet she still got nothing. Instead she changed from just looking at the slightly older girl to glaring at her. Giving her the same stink eye she gave to the rest of the Slytherin house. She hoped by giving the glare she usually reserved for the rest of the house, the one which was laced in disgust that it would lead to the other girl beginning to crack. Though this look didn't have the intended effect the youngest Weasley had hoped for.

Naomi laughed at the glare she was getting from Ginny. It would seem that eventually the stigma for her school house would come back to catch up with her. There would only be so long before Ginny couldn't shake the prejudice against the school house from interfering from her opinion of Naomi. It just so happened that at the time it needed to happen would be the time it finally kicked in. The laugh Naomi let out however, was more of a cackle than a laugh. One which sounded like that of Bellatrix Lestrange, completely disconnected. The very same cackle that had haunted Ginny's dreams for weeks after the events in the Department of Mystery.