bittersweet visit.

[P5 AU//cannon divergence?]

Ren sighed, his dull eyes staring down onto the countertop's table. It felt odd, to him at least. To be quite honest the boy hadn't seen the Cafe in this angle. He was more used to standing at the other side of the counter, with a smile, and served coffee to his friends and customers alike. Now he sat to the stool nearest to the Cafe's door lightly tapping his fingers against the counter; not a single sound came out.

In front of the boy was lukewarm coffee that was left untouched. The date was currently November 30th, 2017. (Last time he has checked of course). Morgana was resting on the other side of the counter, Boss was back in the kitchen humming to himself and preparing for a meal. Ren found moments like these to be quite peaceful. Now that he thought about it, from the previous year of probation and as the leader of the phantom thieves, moments like this were quite rare. He realized that he should have cherished these moments more while he had the chance.

Time ticked on as the boy just sat there relaxed and content, his hand wrapped around the cup but hasn't picked it up. Not a single word was exchanged between him and Sojiro, not a single sound. Until when the bells of Leblanc's door rang. A smile bloomed on Ren's face as familiar faces entered the Cafe, one of them holding flowers and the others were holding memorabilia; it was small trinkets and such. 

In came a loud yet vulgar blond, who had Tufts of brown sticking from his hair named Ryuji holding a plastic bag with Tupperware inside. Next was Ann, as cheerful as the last time he saw her holding a bouquet of flowers. Yusuke entered with a wrapped gift, presumingly a painting. He greeted Boss with his usual humbleness. Makoto and Haru came as a pair, both polite elegant mature with their heads up, a force to be reckoned with both holding a bag with something inside. Futaba followed shortly chatting up a storm of whatever anime she caught up with and greeting Boss dragging one last hesitant member. His hair now much shorter eyes sharp and tired, came in the unlikely appearance of Goro Akechi. 

They all filed up in the Cafe and placed down their gifts on a small long table that resides underneath The Sayori, which is now surrounded by flowers and gifts. A picture in a frame and a vase of incense was in the center of the side table.

His friends were all lively as he last remembered, and he grinned. Despite that, he can sense a hidden layer of mourning and bittersweetness. Their commotion eventually stirred up Morgana from his slumber, for a split moment, it seemed like his companion took a quick glance at him before shaking his fur and joining the others in their usual booth. 

The former thieves brought over a hot-pot bringing food and sweets alike for celebration. Then the night went on, they shred their laughs, their silent tears, and mourning, but honor. One of them turned towards the small table underneath Sayori. Ryuji lamented holding his head up with his hand. "Damn... I really wish he was here to see us now."

They all murmured a hum of agreement and a moment of silence.

"He'll be proud of us because we didn't give up and we kept going," Ann added, and she was right, Ren is and forever be very proud of his friends, as much as he wasn't proud of himself. His friends were truly a batch of strong people. 

"I know that there is no forgiveness spared for me" An unlikely voice spoke up everyone's eyes went onto Goro Akechi, who spoke. "Not that I'll ever admit, but Ku-Amamiya gave me a chance when no one can."

The others smiled at that and exchanged their gratitude towards the Raven haired boy sitting down on the stools. Now dissolving to their chattering, more tone down. Obvious that everyone is getting tired-out.

 Midnight was quickly approaching as well, and despite wanting to stay a little longer and was very heart warmed and touched by his teammates. Ren had to go. He reluctantly got up from his seat, exchanged one last smile, and petted Morgana's head, who visibly yowled and shuddered underneath his deathly-cold touch. The cat quickly turned his head towards him and froze. Ren smiled and laughed at this.

"Thank you, for everything."

He said aiming his words towards the entire team (even his own murderer), before turning heel and heading out the door.

He passed by the Sayuri and the small table where a photo of himself displayed. The Cafe still smelled of incense that was burnt earlier. A card was placed beside it simply written on it was: Happy Birthday Ren Amamiya. To our irreplaceable leader of the phantom thieves....

- - - - - - { X X X } - - - - - -

"R-Ren! Wait!"

"Mona!?"

"Morgana-!?"

"Mona-chan!"

The moment Ren stepped out of the door, with the lack of bell ringing, Morgana suddenly burst up sprinting out the door following what he believed to claim was Ren.

"You can't be serious-"

The rest of the thieves were confused and shocked at Morgana's sudden outburst.  They all quickly followed after the black cat, who was clawing at the door. Haru quickly opened the door up for Mona. Each of the thieves frowning at each other now realizing what got Morgana going.

"oh mona-chan..." one of them mumbled sadly.

To the cat's disappointment, there was no one outside the Cafe, it was as if a ghost had dropped by the cafe on this cold evening.

--x--

hehe >:) woops. For discord folks, this is a much more polished version of whatever I whipped from at the holy hours of 4 am. 

This is a persona 5 AU, featuring protagonist- which is referred to as Ren- who didn't survive the interrogation room. Featuring the little superstition that talks about how cats can see spirits.

edit: i fixed the typo from november 20th to november 30th forgive me i lost all my braincells originally writing this