Chapter One

xX0Xx

NOV 5TH, 2038
PM 08:05:14

After the hostage situation in August, nothing as big has happened in Y/n's life, she took assignments, as usual, joined uniformed officers on patrols, went out with friends, and of course avoided and took care of her dad.

Life continued with no change or progress with her father but she's sort of already gave up on trying to make amends with him. She got used to the cold shoulder even when she'd be the one to drag him to bed.

Y/n spent her Friday night watching a movie with some friends and eating out with them after, as much as her friends like to drink wine she didn't have any. They know she detests alcohol but not all of them knew how badly she hates it.

They ended their little get-together after it hit 8 PM and the girls said goodbye to Y/n, all but one.

"You doing okay?" the lady next to her smiled and Y/n smiled back at her.

"I mean, I'm doing the best I can."

"Come on, N/n. You know you can talk to me."

"Thanks, Lizzie, but I don't want to worry you about my reoccurring problems that you already know about."

Elizabeth Wilson was her closest friend, although she was much older than her, Y/n loved Elizabeth like a sister. They met when Elizabeth's daughter got lost at a shopping mall, Y/n happened to be in the area at that time and didn't hesitate to help the little girl out. Ever since then, Elizabeth's been the closest friend Y/n ever had.

"Well, I know what can help," she looped her arm around Y/n's and pulled her to a nearby ice cream shop.

"You're the best," Y/n chuckled.

"And it's on me. Aren't I the greatest?" Elizabeth laughed with her.

They spend some time at the ice cream shop telling stories back and forth, Y/n telling her about the mundane cases that she has and Elizabeth doing the same with her own work.

It was around 10 PM when Y/n saw the notification about a homicide in Pines. She saw that her father was the one assigned to it and debated on whether or not to help with the investigation but she decided on the latter and just went straight home after her chat with Elizabeth.

It was around 3 AM when Y/n woke up from noise outside in the living room, she figured it was her dad but she stood and checked it out of caution. She took her gun and placed it behind her back as she walked out.

She tightened her hold on the gun before checking and seeing that it was indeed her father, looking exhausted from what she already knew was his previous assignment.

They both had eye contact and Y/n was the first to look away.

"...You, uh, you got a gun there?" he asked cautiously after a moment of silence.

"Oh- uh, yeah I do... Out of caution, of course," she showed him the gun with her hands raised.

"Yeah, of course. Gotta be safe," he cleared his throat and shuffled on his feet.

She knew he'd only be like this, somewhat interactive, when he's only half-drunk or fully sober which didn't happen a lot. The homicide must have taken all his time.

"Well... I'm gonna go back to bed now," she started walking back but didn't miss his last words.

"Yeah... Uh, goodnight?"

That bought a small smile on Y/n's face, even just little things like this made her happy. This was the reason why she stayed, although a big part of her has given up, some part of her still believed that her dad could get better if he tried a little.