Twenty-Five

Early update!! :D

Martin is to the right!! -->

* This chapter may contain grammatical errors and typos. *

* * * * * * *

I reluctantly reached over for the brown paper bag, which I now realize was from Jack in the Box, and slightly opened the top. More of the delicious scent overflowed from the opening and invaded my senses, causing my stomach to grumble again in response. Just then, I saw Mylene eyeing the bag and I began to act possessively of the contents.

I practically growled at her because everyone in the school knew that Mylene loved to eat. She had no shame when it came to food, especially asking for some. I was afraid she’d ask for a bite because I knew she can fit a whole meal in just one. 

I  squinted my eyes in her direction. “You have your own food, Mylene. Eat it. This is mine,” I snarled.

Even though I didn’t know who it was from, I was very grateful for that person. I hugged the bag to my chest, wrapping my arms around it as I once again looked around for whoever dropped it off in front of me. I noticed Mylene getting closer and closer to me with her eyes still focused on the bag as she stuck her tongue out to lick her lips in anticipation of the food. I glared at her again.

“Mylene!” she shook her head at the call of attention before her eyes darted to mine. “Seriously, stop eyeing my food. It’s mine.”

“Pssh, you don’t even know who it’s from! C’mon! Sharing is caring…” she reasoned, a creepy smile overtook her face as her eyes bounced from my own to the bag I was clutching close to me. I turned my body opposite her to get the food away from her before pushing her face away towards her side of the table.

I knew she wanted more than just sharing the food. She wanted the whole thing and I was not about to give it up. She eventually gave up and gobbled down the cafeteria food while sulking. I wanted to give her some, but I know she’ll act like a stray animal afterwards. Once you give them some, they’ll keep coming back for more.

With the threat from Mylene’s stomach gone, I placed the bag on the table and eagerly looked inside it. There was a Jumbo Jack with cheese and a large fries. Wow, this person went all out just for a guy like me. I don’t even know them yet they seem to care a lot about me to save my life from the horrid-looking, putrid-smelling cafeteria lunch. I thanked the heavens instead before unwrapping the burger to take a huge bite out of it. 

I chewed savoringly and focused on the meal in front of me, blurring everything out that was happening in my surroundings. With every bite of the sandwich, I took a few fries and stuffed it in my mouth. Although I was eating like I haven’t eaten for ages, I’m pretty sure it didn’t look that way to everyone around me. I tried my best to eat as slowly as possible to save myself from embarrassment, so I tried looking around for a distraction before I end up inhaling everything down.

My eyes were met with the same steel-gray eyes that have been haunting me ever since school started. Tom was staring at me as Iman talked to him. It looked as if he wasn’t even giving Iman a pinch of his attention as his eyes held mine. I stopped mid-chew before gulping down what was in my mouth, causing me to choke and cough.