Corrupted Lies - Part 2.

Summary: Reader introduces herself to the company in a spontaneous meeting, only to find out that Duncan is their anointed secretary.

A/N: How the tables have turned, lol. I'm sorry for posting this a day late! Anywho, enjoy part 2!

Y/L/N - Your Last Name.

Word count: 1,278

Tags: ​

You examined the black pleated dress in the tall, clean mirror which was situated along the back wall of the empty, cold lift. Your mind raced with nervous thoughts as you adjusted the big buckle of the belt that hugged your tiny waist before you clasped your clammy hands together behind your back as you impatiently waited to reach the floor you needed, your mind stopped with the nervous thoughts and instead went back to the day of your father's funeral, to the moment where you met Duncan.

Your mind had been replaying the same moment for the past couple of days, especially at night and now it was doing it again; but this time it paid more attention to his features: his soft, dishevelled curls, his piercing blue eyes, the veins on his hands that were visible - you hadn't been able to get him off your mind since the funeral and you'd only talked to the guy for a few minutes. What would happen if you ran into him again?

Even though you knew the vast majority of people who had worked for your father, you couldn't help but feel nervous; the people who were now working for you were committed and enthusiastic people and the last thing you wanted to do was make them question your ability to run a successful, profitable company. You felt it was crucial for this impromptu meeting to go nicely if you wanted to make a good impression and reassure your employees.

You finally reached the floor you needed, the ping from the lift snapped you back to reality. You then waited calmly for the sleek, silver door of the lift to open before you promptly sauntered out of the lift and into the large, pristine reception area. The reception was immaculate, equipped with four white-leather sofas and a sleek, glass reception area with a beautiful woman sat behind.

The tanned, beautiful woman noticed your presence as she looked up from the illuminating screen of the black laptop, the sounds of her long fingers click-clacking on the keyboard was no longer. The tall woman swiftly rose from her chair, revealing her striped, short-sleeved dress before she walked around to the front of the desk, a kind smile planted on her face as she pointed you in the direction of the glass board-room.

You flashed a small smile to the woman before you walked in the direction of the room, the faces of trusted people became clearer and clearer the closer you came to the glass of the boardroom. The second you walked into the boardroom, you felt the eyes of your fellow peers attached to you as they followed your transition from the door to the front of the room, towering over the end of the sleek, black table.

"Hello everyone, I'm y/n y/l/n...And I'm the new owner of this company." You spoke firmly as you introduced yourself to the focused people who occupied the copper-coloured, elegant chairs that were seated in front of you. Their eyes scanned you as they worked their way from the bottom of your body, beginning with your elegant heels that hugged your small feet snugly and ending with your attentive but kind eyes that moved from face to face.

"Some of you I already know and some of you I don't know, but I hope to get to know you all more." You added in the same firm voice from before as you grouped your fingers behind your arched, dressed back before you braided your gentle fingers together.

"Will anything be changing? Are you going to fire some of us?" A person would croak out from the back with their arm raised as you noticed them. You unclasped your small hands from behind your back and placed them by the sides of your petite frame.

"Of course not! If you were loyal to my father, then that means you're loyal to me too." You explained to the person as you attempted to reassure them the best you possibly could whilst you flashed them a kind smile. They agreed to what you had said as their body relaxed into their chair slightly; the worried expression that covered their face before was now gone, clearly at ease by what you had just said.

"Everyone will be in the same positions within the company, no changes will be made to the staffing, I can reassure you." You announced boldly to the apprehensive faces in the warm room in a successful attempt to reassure those people.

"That's all I wanted to say, you can leave now!" You spoke softly to your employees as they began to rise slowly from their chairs, speaking their goodbyes to you as they left the room in a single file until there was one person left in the room. You examined the person and immediately recognised the copper-coloured curls, the same blue eyes that felt like they could pierce through you and the same small markings of stubble that marked his sculptured jawline.

It was Duncan...

You had no idea that he had worked for your father, you were rather sure you had never seen him before on past visits to your father's company. Maybe he was a new addition to the company before your father's untimely death?...

"Since positions aren't changing I should introduce myself," Duncan spoke invitingly as he rose slowly out of his plush chair at the table and began to make his way over to where you were standing. "I'm Duncan, your secretary now it seems." He continued as he finally reached where you were standing, whilst he placed a large hand in front of you; encouraging you to shake it.

"Well then, it's rather nice to meet you, Duncan." You responded in a soft tone with a slight chuckle as you shook his rough hand, the skin-to-skin contact gave you a feeling in your hand of what felt like electricity - you were quick to notice this.

"Likewise. Anyway, I have secretary stuff to do but if you need me, my office is just across the way from yours." He responded to you as you released the grip you had on his calloused hand, Duncan swiftly placed his now released hand by the side of his large frame.

"No problem and alright, I'll keep that in mind!" You promptly retorted as he shot you a smirk - your stomach feeling fluttery at the smirk - before he walked out of the glass boardroom your eyes watched him intently as he strolled down the corridor of private office doors.

There was just something about being in the presence of Duncan that felt intoxicating - if that was the right word to use. You had never quite felt anything like that before but you knew Duncan was a ladies' man for sure, his reputation proceeded him and you barely knew the guy. It was there and then that you made a promise to yourself: not to let anything happen between you and Duncan, that the only relationship you'd have with Duncan would be that of a professional one but even you began to question that within a couple of minutes of making the promise. Maybe you were beginning to fall a tiny bit for him...fuck