13| Summon Mama Bear

I was in full force at the clothing store creating my art pieces for the show that was in three weeks, wiping my forehead with my forearm I huffed noticing the paint was running low and wouldn't last for another painting

Checking my phone for the time I placed my hands on my hips sighing, I had only ten minutes before I needed to pick up Kam and Emani from school, a hand touched the small of my back.

"Why you looking like that?"

"Just thinking about picking the kids up and getting more paint" Ermias stepped forward looking at my unfinished artwork nodding his head.

"You was gonna walk to the paint shop up the block?"

"Yeah after I get the kids"

"I'll get them, you in the zone so go get your stuff"

"You sure? He nodded rubbing my back.

"Yeah you getting them that one day with the Uber was a one time thing, I'm gonna work on you getting a whip"

With my hourly wage and budgeting in a month I would be able to afford buying my own car, the last thing I wanted was Ermias coming out of pocket for me anymore.

"I can get my own just have to save up"

"You my wifey now you can't tell me no when I wanna provide for you"

"This is one thing I'm willing to fight you on, I wanna be able to proud that I did something on my own"

"I can respect that" I picked up my fanny pack putting it around my waist tucking my phone into it, Ermias snaked his hand with rolled money into my fanny pack.

"I have more than enough babe"

"Just in case I don't need you walking around with no cash"

I checked around the store to see if anyone was watching us but everyone was busy doing their own thing, I got on my tippy toes pecking his lips.

"You'll be getting this back" I referred to the knot in my fanny back that weighed it down "I'll be back in a few tell Kam to text me when you get him"

"I gotchu be safe and I love you"

"You too and I love you too"

Making my way outside I soaked in the sun brightly shining down on me, walking towards the paint shop I thought about the colors I needed and the colors I wanted to try.

"NO JUSTICE NO PEACE, PROSECUTE THE POLICE"

A small crowd on each side of the intersection of Slauson and Crenshaw posted up in each gas station with signs and their fist high in the air.

"What's going on?" I asked someone with a sign.

"They killed another black man"

My heart skipped a beat and my palms became sweaty, I raised my fist in support while walking past the crowds that were growing.