Safe and Sound - Chapter 3

Chapter THREE

8AM

I woke up to a horn honking. It sounded far away, at first. For a moment, I forgot where I was and what had happened.

I sat up, wincing in pain. Of course. My leg was still wrapped tight with my sweater. My arm still had a shooting pain. It wasn't a nightmare. It was actually happening. Rowan was to my left, asleep in the grass. The horn honked again.

I touched his arm, shaking it a bit. "Rowan."

He shifted and opened his eyes, confused. He'd forgotten, too, just for a second.

"There's a car," I told him, "it's coming."

Rowan sprung up, then stumbled a bit. Suddenly, he was out on the road, waving his arms around.

I watched as the car slowed down in front of him. I couldn't hear what they were saying but the middle aged man got out and was coming towards me. It didn't feel real, any of it.

"What the hell happened?" the man yelled, seeing me on the ground. "Mary, call 911!"

A woman in the car nodded, pulling out her phone.

"We were on a train," Rowan began. "It derailed. I think it was around one in the morning."

"One a.m.? You two were out here all night?" the man asked, shocked.

"Yes, sir. The train was pretty empty-"

I closed my eyes, realizing how bad my body hurt. I was glad to be awake, alive, but I knew I wasn't doing well. I felt weak, and nauseous and like I might pass out again.

"Cassidy?" I heard Rowan's voice. "You okay?"

I took a deep breath, nodding. I wasn't okay, but I could pretend, for now.

"My wife called for an ambulance. We are about fifteen minutes from Little Rock," the man said, more to Rowan than to me.

"We were... trying to get to get to town," Rowan said slowly, sounding defeated. "But we were tired. We stopped to sleep. What time is it?"

"Just after eight." The man looked at Rowan, concerned. "I think I have a blanket in the car. I'll be right back."

Rowan knelt down close to me, leaning in. Eight a.m.? It had been three hours - at least - since we had stopped. I felt sick to my stomach, closing my eyes again.

"You're doing good," he whispered, touching my hand.

I jumped at his touch. "I'm not."

"You are. Help will be here soon," he finished.

The man was back, draping the large blue blanket over both of our shoulders.

"We will stay under the ambulance arrives," he told us. "I'm so glad my wife saw you."

Rowan sighed, then thanked him. I just kept wondering how many cars had driven past us while we slept? Would we have gotten help sooner if we had stayed awake?

Rowan hopped up when he heard the sirens in the distance. I opened my eyes, trying to feel... something. But I couldn't. I wasn't happy. I wasn't scared. I wasn't anything. I looked over to see Rowan talking to the man again, as the ambulance pulled up.

Everything happened fast, after that. I heard lots of voices, the man and Rowan telling the EMTs our story. Two men in gray uniforms brought over a yellow stretcher. It all felt like I was watching it happen, maybe to someone else. Everything hurt and yet I felt so tired and almost completely numb.

"Cassidy? I'm Mike," one of the men started. "How're you feeling?"

"I'm..." I didn't know.

"It's alright. Can we get you up on this stretcher and into the ambulance?" he asked.

I nodded. I was laying flat, being carried over to the ambulance, when the other EMT spoke.

"How's your head, neck? Any pain?"

A lot of pain, everywhere, I wanted to say.

"Uh. My head hurts. But mostly my leg," I managed to say.

They were sliding the stretcher into the back of the ambulance a minute later. I heard someone ask how they didn't find us sooner. Mike slipped a neck brace onto me, and strapped me down to the board. I just stared at the roof, so scared.

"Cassidy." I heard Rowan's voice, finally.

Tears filled my eyes. He squeezed my hand.

"I'm here. You're okay."

I couldn't speak, but I exhaled, so glad he was there.