Safe and Sound - Chapter 31

Chapter 31

ARE YOU NOT TALKING TO ME NOW? Rowan texted me at 10 A.M. the next day.

  I hadn't slept much at all and now I was forcing back some cereal while watching TV. I knew it didn't make sense to let everything implode now, but I just didn't feel like I could handle dealing with it. What was I supposed to say to him now?

  Of course Ashlyn had gotten to me. I should have been there with Rowan, not her. I was angry and embarrassed and I didn't know how to tell him.

  WHAT DO YOU MEAN? I sent back to Rowan, my hands sweating.

  YOU HAVEN'T TEXTED SINCE 5PM YESTERDAY. YOU IGNORED MY LAST TWO TEXTS.

  ROWAN IM UPSET, I told him.

  YOU CHOSE NOT TO COME.

  YEAH, WELL, YOU GOT DRUNK AND HAD FUN, RIGHT? 

  WHAT?

  I took in a deep breath.

  ASHLYN TEXTED ME FROM SOMEONE ELSE'S PHONE LAST NIGHT. SHE SAID SHE WAS WITH YOU AND YOU LOOKED HOT. AND THEN SHE SENT A PHOTO OF YOU AND HER TOGETHER, I explained.

  It was a few minutes before Rowan answered and I felt frozen, like the world had stopped moving around me.

  WHAT THE FUCK? ARE YOU JOKING?

  WHY WOULD I BE JOKING?

  CASS. YES, I WAS DRUNK. I GOT DRUNK BECAUSE I MISSED YOU AND I WANTED YOU WITH ME.

  I didn't reply, so he sent another.

  ASHLYN SHOWED UP WITH THIS GUY I USED TO PARTY WITH. THEY WEREN'T EVEN WITH US. AND I DON'T REMEMBER HER TAKING A PHOTO, IM SORRY.

  WELL, YOU CAN IMAGINE HOW I FELT, LAST NIGHT, I said.

  YEAH... BUT SHE'S JUST MESSING WITH YOU. I DIDN'T EVEN REALLY TALK TO HER, I SWEAR.

  IM SORRY I DIDN'T COME. I SCREWED UP, I YELLED AT MY MOM AND ASKED HER WHAT IF I GO ANYWAY AND STAY WITH YOU? SHE WAS REALLY MAD.

  DAMN. DOES SHE HATE ME NOW? he asked.

  NOT YOU. MAYBE ME.

  I DOUBT THAT. DO YOU WANT ME TO COME TO DALLAS TODAY?

  YES. OF COURSE.

  OK, I JUST NEED TO SHOWER THEN ILL BE ON MY WAY.

  OKAY, I finished.

  Seeing him for the first time in a week - and since the night we had sex - was emotionally overwhelming. Every time I blinked I could see that photo of him and Ashlyn and it hurt my heart. I knew he didn't do anything. I believed what he had told me. But I didn't like not seeing him for a whole week, especially now.

  "Wow," he said, walking towards me. "Your cast is off."

  I nodded. "Yeah."

  He wrapped his arms around me, but it felt hesitant, like something was different. I squeezed him, letting myself relax. He smelled good and I loved how I could hear his heart beating when I laid my head on his chest. I just wanted us to be okay.

  "That was a long week," he whispered. "I'm sorry about last night."

  "Okay," I said.

  "You always say okay," he told me, shaking his head.