Safe and Sound - Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Sonya was clapping frantically as I walked into second period, just before the bell rang. I was still keeping my arm bent, out of habit, but I straightened it right away, to show her.

  "All good," I smiled, sitting down next to her.

  "Yay!" she squealed. "That's great, Cass."

  I nodded and pulled out my phone, just before class began.

  CAST IS OFF. IT FEELS WEIRD, BUT ITS ALL HEALED, I sent to Rowan.

  I didn't see his message back until lunch, when I was able to look at my phone again. I also read the text from my mom from early that morning, telling me she was sorry, and that she would make it up to me.

  THATS AWESOME. IM HAPPY FOR YOU, the text from Rowan said.

  Ever since our conversation the night before, I felt like things were weird between us. I didn't expect him to come to Dallas all the time, and I didn't want him to come see me instead of his friend's birthday celebration. But he wanted more from me, I knew that for sure.

  After school, my mom was home. I wasn't mad at her for missing my appointment anymore and she was in a good mood, seeing that my cast was off. I just didn't have the energy to fight with her, so I let it go.

  "I'm sorry honey," she told me right away. "A website of an important client was down, and no one else could figure out -"

  "Mom, it's fine," I told her.

  "How does it feel?" She pointed at my arm.

  "It's good. I have physical therapy next Tuesday and the one after that," I answered, hoping she would let it be at that.

  "I'm so glad."

  I took in a breath. She was happy - in a good mood - and I knew this was the only time I'd be able to do this - to ask her about going to Chase's birthday party with Rowan.

  "Mom," I began, hesitating already. "I was wondering if I could go to Fort Worth tomorrow?"

  She looked up. "Of course. After practice?"

  "Well... yeah. But I was hoping it would be okay if I... stayed the night."

  "Wait, what?" she snapped.

  "It's a lot of driving for Rowan to pick me up after practice, go back to Fort Worth, and then bring me home again before midnight-"

  "Then you two can stay in Dallas to hang out. Less driving," she said, like this was no big deal.

  "Mom... there's a get together, his friend's birthday-"

  "A party?"

  "No, it's not a party." I took in a deep breath.

  "Sorry, honey. But curfew is midnight or you don't go," she said, shaking her head.

  She was completely serious. She wasn't even going to consider it as an option.

  "Why? Why is sleeping in Fort Worth so terrible?" I yelled, annoyed now.

  "It's not Fort Worth. It's you, alone with Rowan all night." She was remaining calm, somehow.

  "But I'm asking you. Isn't that better than lying about it?" I wanted to know.

  "Cassidy."