Safe and Sound - Chapter 34

Chapter 34

But the next day at school, something felt off. I didn't know what or why. I wrote a test, which went fine. I went to Cheer practice, which was completely normal and actually pretty good. Nothing out of the ordinary. Coach was in a great mood after our weekend win.

  I walked home, texting Rowan while I walked. He didn't reply, but it didn't concern me. I figured he was busy at work. But by bedtime, he still hadn't texted or called. I called him, thinking he would answer right away. But it didn't even ring, it went right to his voicemail. Why was his phone turned off? I tried texting again and then called again, feeling frantic. Nothing.

  I couldn't sleep at all, terrified to miss his call or text when he finally replied. But he didn't.

  I told my mom in the morning that I was worried, since he always texted back and called at bedtime. It just wasn't like him to go this long without getting in touch.

  "Maybe he had a long day and fell asleep early. I'm sure he'll call today," she told me, smiling her reassuring smile.

  But I couldn't focus at school and his phone was still off when I called at lunch and again on my way home. I knew there was a reason he wasn't getting back to me. I could just feel it.

  "Something's wrong," I told my Mom when she got home from work.

  She could tell I was really upset now. I'd been pacing around the house.

  "How about we eat something and then drive down to Fort Worth to make sure everything's okay?" she suggested.

  "Really?" I asked, feeling a bit of relief.

  "Of course, Cass."

  I ate just a few bites of the pasta she made, and my stomach was in knots as I slipped on my shoes to go outside to her car. But before we left, my phone rang.

  It wasn't a number I recognized, but I knew I had to answer.

  "Hello?" I asked carefully.

  "Hi... Cassidy?" a man's voice asked.

  "Yes."

  "Cassidy, this is Robert, Rowan's father." He paused. "This is... so hard to say... but Rowan is in the hospital. He was attacked, last night, after he left our shop..."

  "What?" I yelled.

  "Tiffany thought I should get your number and call you..."

  "Is he okay?" I said quickly, my heart racing.

  "Right now... it's up in the air." He paused again and my heart dropped to my stomach. I couldn't comprehend what he was saying. "He's in a coma. He was stabbed, and knocked out..."

  "Oh my god," I breathed out, falling to the floor in our front hall. "I was just on my way there... he wasn't texting me back."

  "I'm sorry Cassidy. You won't be able to see him if you come. I will call again tomorrow if there's any changes... would that be alright?" he told me, his voice very sad.

  "Okay." But it was not okay.

  I ended the call and dropped my phone, tears already in my eyes. I wanted to scream, but I felt frozen. My Mom rushed to me, asking what was wrong. I couldn't tell her, because how could I repeat the words I'd just heard?

  It was hours later before I managed to speak. I hadn't even let myself cry. It didn't feel real. I didn't even know if I would ever get to see him again and I was thinking the worst.

  "Rowan is hurt," I told my mom, finally. "He... someone hurt him. He's in the hospital."

  "Oh my... Cass -"

  "I can't even go see him, Mom. He's in a coma, they won't let me in to see him." Now, the tears fell fast down my face.

  My mom reached for my hand. "I'm sorry, Cass."

  "I just have to wait? How am I going to wait to hear something? Mom, I can't go to school tomorrow..."

  "Oh, honey, of course not. We will stay home," she answered without hesitation.

  I wanted to smile at her or hug her something. But I couldn't. Knowing Rowan was in a coma and I couldn't go to him was torture. Knowing he had been stabbed and had been in pain, scared and I wasn't there with him. It wasn't fair.

  I couldn't sleep again. The next morning I called Kate to tell her I was staying home, but I didn't say why. I couldn't tell her. I didn't want her to worry.

  It was late afternoon when my phone finally rang. I was showered and dressed and ready to jump in the car if I could.

  "Hello?" I answered, hoping for good news.

  "Cassidy, hi." Rowan's dad didn't sound any happier than he had the day before.

  "Is Rowan okay?"

  "Well, yes. Thankfully, he woke up this morning. But there have been lots of test and surgery earlier today... he had internal damage-"

  "Oh God."

  "He's mostly been sleeping today. But he's out of the coma. He tried to talk this morning but he just looked really scared. Tiffany and I are with him..."

  "Can I come? Will they let me see him?" I asked, my hand shaking.

  "The doctors are still monitoring his stats in the ICU, but they may move him to a regular room tonight or tomorrow."

  I took in a deep breath. "Please tell him I love him. I'll be there as soon as you say I can."

  "Of course. I will let you know."

  But the entire evening and night passed and I didn't hear anything. I fell asleep watching TV but woke up from a nightmare at 3 A.M,, then laid awake until morning. It had been almost three days since I'd heard his voice. I couldn't stand it.

  My mom had to go to work on Thursday, but I stayed home again. Sonya called at lunch, asking if I was sick. I broke down crying, and told her everything. Right after school, she and Kate were at my door.

  "Why didn't you tell us?" Kate asked, already hugging me.

  "I didn't want it to be real," I told them.

  Sonya squeezed me, hard. "We will stay with you all night if we have to."

  Sonya ordered pizza and I ate for the first time in days, but I still felt empty. It was early evening when my phone rang, and I jumped.

  My hand was shaking, but I saw that the caller ID said 'Row' and my eyes went wide.

  "Hello?" I asked, quietly.

  "Cass..." It was really him.

  "Oh my god."

  "Cass... I'm so sorry."

  "You didn't do anything wrong," I told him. "Are you okay?"

  "I'm okay," he repeated.

  "Can I come see you?"

  "Yes. My dad just told me he talked to you. They finally moved me to a normal room after they got some results from tests."

  "Row..." I didn't know what to say.

  "I know. But I'm okay. I promise."

  "I was so scared."

  "I know, I'm sorry. Come, okay?" he asked.

  "Okay, yes. I will be there soon," I told him.

  "Love you, Cass," he whispered.

  "I love you, too."