Safe and Sound - Chapter 15

Chapter FIFTEEN

It was more than a kiss. I mean, it was a technically just a kiss, but it felt different afterwards. It was like I was high, light, floating in the air. I felt like the room was spinning too.

   Afterwards, Rowan put on a show on Netflix, which we watched for an hour. We sat on his bed, close but not really touching. My heart was in overdrive. I couldn't believe he had kissed me. Was it real? Had I imagined it? Why hadn't he tried to kiss me again?

  When it was quarter after nine, my stomach dropped, knowing we had to leave soon. I just wanted to be with Rowan longer.

  Thankfully, his Dad and Tiffany were no where to be seen when we went downstairs, through the kitchen and out the door. Rowan opened the door to his truck for me and I hopped in, then he went around and got in beside me. He turned down the music as he started the truck, then put my address into his GPS and off we went.

  ON MY WAY HOME, I texted my mom as we drove off down his street.

  OK SEE YOU SOON, she sent back right away.

  Once we were on the highway out of the city, Rowan finally let out of deep breath and smiled at me. I felt myself relax as he reached over and ran his hand over my cast.

  "What?" I asked, smiling at him.

  "The cast... it's the only thing left to remind us of what happened," he said, slowly.

    I let out a quick laugh. "You should see my leg."

    His expression changed and he looked back out at the road. "Sorry. I didn't mean..."

  "No, it's fine. My leg feels better, generally. But it's not pretty."

  "But you are," he grinned, now tapping his fingers on the steering wheel.

  "I'm what?" I teased him.

   His face flushed. He kept his eyes on the road. "You're pretty. And you're tiny and cute."

  "Cute?" I asked, then snorted.

  "Super cute," he told me, nodding. "Thank you for staying... even though that dinner was a disaster."

   "I'm glad I stayed," I answered.

    He grinned at me, then went back to focusing on driving.

   It felt like it only took minutes to get there, but we pulled into my driveway at 9:50 P.M. Again, I wanted more time with him. I didn't want to get out of the truck.

   "My mom will be happy I'm home... early," I said, undoing my seat belt.

   "I should have driven slower," he answered, then flashed his smile at me. I really loved that smile.

   "So..." I didn't know what to say. I glanced up at the house and saw my mom looking out of the window.

   "So... let's do that again? I mean, without my dad and Tiffany," he suggested.

   "Okay," I smiled.

   "Yeah?"

   "Yes."

   He leaned in close and hugged me, landing his lips on my cheek. I let him stay close for a moment longer than I should have, and then I opened the door of the truck. I wanted him to stop me. I really wished he would have said something else. But when I hopped out and looked back at him, he was just smiling.