Safe and Sound - Chapter 8

Chapter EIGHT

On the drive home, my mom basically talked for four hours straight. Rich stayed mostly quiet, but mom asked a million questions about how I was feeling, if I was too cold or too warm, if I wanted the radio station changed. She also talked about how happy she was that I was okay and that I was with her, safe and sound. I called my dad when we were half way home, keeping it short and sweet. He did, in fact, sound grateful that I was okay, but barely sounded disappointed that I was headed back to Texas.

   "I do have a ton of work to catch up on," he said, then added, "How about we plan a visit for your Spring Break?"

   I sighed. He was so predictable. "Sure, Dad. Maybe."

   "Great. I'm so happy you're all good, Cassie Bear," he finished.

   "Thanks, Dad."

   Sonya and Kate showed up together within thirty minutes of me arriving home. It was Sunday and we had six more days of our Winter Break. I was supposed to be in Chicago until Wednesday so now that I was home, of course they were there.

   My mom had me all set up in the living room, with pillows under my bad leg, propping it up, and the TV on, remotes in hand. It really was so good to be home.

   "So, wait," Kate began, her eyes wide. "The train actually crashed?"

   "The official term is derailed," I said, smiling as she sat beside me. "But they think it hit something, causing the first train - that I was in - to flip and go down the hill. I think I blacked out when it happened. I was ejected -"

   "Jesus," Sonya stopped me, touching my hand.

   "They think the broken window I flew out of cut open my leg... I ended up pretty far from the original car, and the rest of the train..." I went on, after taking a breath.

   This is what my mom also talked about, all the way home. She had talked to all the doctors, the police. She wanted to know everything. I really would have been fine without all of the details but, she filled me in.

   "So, it was Friday night?" Kate asked.

   I nodded. "The train ride was normal for the few couple of hours. I think they said it was around one in the morning when it happened."

   Sonya took in a breath, exhaling slowly. I had known her since we were little girls. We'd played soccer on the same team. We went to elementary school together. She'd always been the overly emotional one.

   "How did you... get to the hospital?" she asked me.

   Finally, I told them about Rowan. I recapped how he had found me, pulled me up the hill, carried me in his arms for hours, walking down the tracks. My chest felt heavy, talking about him.

   "That is so... crazy," Kate finally said, her eyes wide again. "He was your White Knight."

   "That is so romantic," Sonya added, quietly. "He saved you."

   I shook my head. There was nothing romantic about that night with Rowan.

   "No, it was terrifying. We could have died," I snapped. "People did die."

   "But you're here. You're home," Kate said quickly, looking unsure.

   "Did you see him again? After the ambulance?" Sonya wanted to know.

   I could have told them about how he found me in the hospital, in my room. I could have said that I texted him that night, and went to see him the next morning. They would have loved to hear that. But I wanted all of those memories for myself. I really missed him, and I couldn't tell anyone.