7

“Alexei,” Viktor called out to his younger brother with a hint of irritation in his voice. “Can you stop staring outside? You’ll only see a bunch of snow there, nothing new.”

As usual, Alexei ignored him so Viktor left upstairs to change his clothes. He accepted Gavriil’s offer two days after he threw him out and he was thankful enough that the young man didn’t grieved on what he had done.

After making his self look sufficiently considerable, he went downstairs to say goodbye to his ma and pa who were both busy on cooking for the upcoming festival later on.

“Be a good boy, khorosho?” Viktor said as he patted Alexei’s head. “I’ll be back soon.”

The motionless lad did nothing but stare from afar.  Victor sighed heavily and put on his coat and gloves.

“Don’t go home tonight.”

Viktor snapped his head up and found Alexei staring at him with his dull orbs.

“W-what?” He stuttered with broad eyes, unable to roll the word out from his tongue. He guzzled his fear down his throat as he clasped his hands tightly.

Alexei averted his gaze from him and went back to stare at the window. This left Viktor completely baffled and terrified at the same time. His brother spoke again after those painful weeks of silence but he wasn’t sure whether to be happy or not.

“Alexei, what did you just tell big brother?” Viktor said, forcing the other to face him but Alexei resisted. “Don’t you dare ignore me, brat.” He whispered with clenched jaws.

“What are you doing, Viktor?” His father suddenly asked from behind and when he faced him, he saw the puzzlement in his face.

Pondering whether to tell his pa the truth or not, he just decided to forge a smile and pretend that nothing happened. With a small patt on the back, Viktor left the house carrying what his brother told him.

“Don’t go home tonight.