Prologue

Edited 6/9/2023

TW: Blood/Gore, references to suicide, and an inability to tell reality from hallucinations, death.

Third Person
Mobius Battle Grounds

"No! No, how is this possible?!"

Infinite growled, showing off his teeth at the one and only Eggman, aka Dr. Robotnic.

He clutched the wound on his chest, a gaping cavity that was continuing to spew out blood no matter how much dried at the edges. Black spots appeared in his vision as he struggled to breathe, lungs probably had been pierced by a few broken ribs.

He looked down, delirious from falling off the building that was too tall not to do any damage but too short to kill him. No, he wasn't suicidal. The Phantom Ruby had been ripped out of the place it had embedded itself into his chest.

"Well, what do we have here?" Eggman said, flying down in his floating chair. "A fallen jackal, dying on the ground of what remains of his home. Such a stunning performance, by the way! I love how you destroyed everything I was meant to rule."

Infinite gasped, breathing was getting harder to do as time went on.

"This-" He coughed. "This isn't real! It's just another illusion."

"I assure you, everything that's happening here is real." He could feel Eggman looking down at him smugly from whatever that floating chair of his was. "This is reality, right here. You did this."

The rest of the people on the almost-barren wasteland that was once the capital of Mobius looked at the scene from a distance. He could feel the anger in their in their gaze, maybe a bit of sadness and surprise. It doesn't matter anymore.

Tears unknowingly started to spill from his eyes as his breathing quickened.

"No, no I-" He cut himself off with a gut-wrenching cough, blood almost practically spewing out of his mouth as his ears finally went limp. He trembled, in both fear and exhaustion.

"It's real! Has the Phantom Ruby really changed how you see things?!" He sighed. "You we're never worthy of the Phantom Ruby's power, Zero." Eggman snapped. Infinite -or Zero- flinched. "You never had what it takes, and now, you never will."

Eggman glanced at his watch as Infinite said, "I always had what it takes!"

The round man scoffed, rolling his eyes behind his goggles. "Keep telling yourself that. Now, I believe... your time here is up."

"No! No, I trusted you!" 

"That was your first mistake."

At those last words, the world went dark. In the distance, a small explosion could be heard, although no one knows what it was from.