Big News

Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep bee-
I slammed my hand down on the annoying alarm clock. I turned my head, 8:30. Ugh, it is way too early for this. After a few minutes of just laying in bed, I tossed my blanket off of me and threw my legs out of bed. I groggily walked to the bathroom so I could take a shower and wake up fully.

I let my clothes slide off my body and I stepped into the warm shower. I was in the middle of singing 'Cool Again' by Kane Brown (and yes I know that this song just came out so it wasn't around at this time, but I'm setting this in the present, sort of, sorry if it's confusing) when my mom yelled from downstairs, "Hermione dear! Your father and I need to tell you something!"

"Just a second mum! I'm in the shower!" I quickly turned the water off and grabbed a towel. I left my hair down and pulled on a pair of grey Nike sweatpants and a sky blue sweatshirt my mother had gotten me for my birthday. I quickly ran down stairs after I grabbed my comb so I could comb my wet hair.

"Yes mum? What did you and dad need to tell me?" I asked as I started working on my hair, small droplets of water falling onto the wood floor underneath my feet.

"Henry dear! Come in here!" Jean Granger yelled as she motioned for me to sit down on the couch. Her father came in and sat next to his wife on the couch opposite of his daughter. The married couple shared a look before telling their daughter what she needed to hear.

"Hermione dear, you know we love you to the ends of the Earth, right?" Her mother started.

"Of course mum, but where is this going?" I asked, sitting a little straighter. I kept combing my hair while looking at her to continue.

"Well, Hermione, eleven years ago, your mother and I had a miscarriage. We were devastated when the doctor told us Jean couldn't have anymore babies after the incident. We really wanted kids, or at least one, so we decided to adopt a little baby girl. Hermione, that girl was you. The reason we're telling you this is because we just got a letter for you. Well, I think it's best if you read the letter yourself." My father, well, Henry handed her an envelope, it had already been opened.

The envelope was a tainted yellow, on the front it said, 'To Miss Hermione Granger.' On the back, there was a broken seal. The wax was a darker wine red, it had a crest split into four sections, in the top right, there was a lion, in the top left there was a snake, in the bottom right there was badger, in the bottom left was an eagle. I opened the envelope and pulled out the letter that was inside. The letter was the same tainted yellow as the envelope. I opened the letter fragility as if it was going to crumble in my hands. I gasped as I read the letter.

'We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted
 at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.'

"I'm- I'm a witch?" I asked shocked, looking up at my parents.

"According to the letter, yes." My mother, well, Jean said.

"Wow, okay. How am I supposed to send a letter back?" I asked as I stood up.

"Well, I'm guessing with that owl over there." Henry chuckled as he pointed to the window, where a beautiful snow white owl with a few golden feathers, sat.

"Well, can I go?" I asked eager, I always knew I was different, but I never knew I was this different.

"Well, I suppose so." Jean said carefully.

"Is this the reason you told me I was adopted?" I asked as I wrote my reply to the school.

"Well, yes. We were going to wait until you were older, but then the letter came and I got this feeling that I needed to tell you." Jean said as her and Henry stood behind me, watching me write my response letter.

"Oh, okay." I smiled and looked up, finishing my letter. I quickly put it into an envelope and sealed it. I grabbed a cracker before walking over to the owl. I handed him the cracker before attaching the letter to the compartment on his leg. Once I closed the compartment, he flew away out the window.

"So, do you know who my actual parents are?" I asked, turning around to face the two people who have raised me my whole life.

"No, all the orphanage told us was you were left with a note, no one dropped you off, you were just on the doorstep. I'll go get that for you. " Jean said she got up to get the note.

"Hermione, we really do love you, even though you may not be our blood daughter, we love you to the ends of the Earth. And I understand that this is a boarding school, so you will only be able to come home for the summer and christmas break, but Jean and I would really like for you to continue living with us. We love honey, but we completely understand if you don't want to." Henry said, tears threatening to spill.

"Oh I don't care if you my blood father or not! I love you! You have raised me my whole life! Of course I'll come back for summer and christmas break!" I cried, running over to him and throwing my arms around his neck, hugging him tight.

"Oh good." He sighed, hugging me tight.

"How come I didn't get an invite to the cry-hug?" Jean exclaimed as she walked in.

"Oh come here!" I exclaimed, opening my arms to her, she set a paper down on the table before joining the hug.

"Okay, why don't you read that note?" Jean said as we broke the hug.

"Okay." I walked over to the table and picked up the note.

'This child has no mother, she died in childbirth.
Both of her grandfathers and one grandmother
passed away before she was born.
Her father is not fit to raise this child on his own.
Her name shall stay the same, Hermione Merope, she will
take her adoptive parents last name.
Her first name is after her mother's
grandmother, and her middle name is after her father's mother.
Her birth last name is-'

The last name was smudged so I couldn't read it.

"Okay, cool. Wait, how am I supposed to get my school supplies?" I asked, even though I won't receive my schedule and supply list for a few more days at least.

"I'm not sure, but we'll figure it out honey." Jean said as she hugged me one last time before taking Henry to help her with dinner.

I went upstairs to read one of my books. But I couldn't quite concentrate on the pages before me, I couldn't stop wondering who my father was. Was he still alive? Was he a wizard too? Did he even want me? The letter didn't sound like he wrote it because it was wrote in third person, as if someone else took me to the orphanage, instead of my father.