3

The Duke Elrich Kroudel was a "perfect" man. Proud follower of Rhaelia strong in his religious beliefs. Loyal vasal of His Highness, wise ruler of a Duchy. Personification of a ideal Duke and knighthood. His reputation was perfect. So his family also had to be perfect.

Everybody knows that Rhaelia favors number three so he had to have three children. It was common, many Counts, Barons and other nobles following Rhaelia's path thought that it was perfect number of offsprings. And if you have at least one daughter that mean you have Her blessing and your house is in Her favor.

And Elrich Kroudel had that perfect family. Beautiful wife of angelic face and long light pink hair that were wavy and soft like velvet. She was lovely and cheerful, she had round grey eyes. On every picture she were smiling brightly. The duke also had a oldest son. Stoic and calm, a perfect heir with his mother's eyes. And the youngest son, loud and roudy but earnest and bright kid. And there was also the middle child. Sole image of the Duke, only daughter that didn't look like her mother at all. Gold-haired and gold-eyed Elise Kroudel. The favorite one, perfect sister and daugther with grand magic and mana inside her little, frail body...

Soon after second child Duchess fell sick, and two years later she passed away... True faithtfull believer of Rhaelia marry only once for life, so the Duke never remarried. He was left alone with two little boys and beloved daughter bedridder becouse of mana-malfunctioning. And so... the perfect family was no more. And his public perfect image also would be gone... 

But the Duke was perfect man and he couldn't let that happen...

And information contained in that letter could easily tarnish that illusion of "ideality" of House's Kroudel head.

Ellaise deribaretly took long to dress up so Eugene had to wait behind the door of her chambers. It wasn't appropriate to visit the Duke with only a nightgown and she had to punish second bastard for that he didn't even let her had breakfast and spoiled her appetite. Even sight of that little brat could spoil her mood. Thanks to Rhaelia she took care of nim quickly before he had a chance to throw a tantrum.

Ellaise choose one of a simpler dresses, white with golden embriordery and bow below her neck with one emerald in the center. She styled a little her hair only to took a little more time. But eventualy she left her chambers wit maid by her side. Eugene's temper was very short and it wasn't good to keep him wainting angrily for too long.

Eugene looked at her when she stepped out and then at Enora that was just behind Ellaise. He adjusted his pinkish hair and glared at the maid.

"I can escort my sister myself" he said coldly. Enora straighted her back and looked straight into Eugene's eyes.

"It is Duke's order to don't let young Lady be alone with second young master" she answered.

"Tch" Ellaise could swear that she heard like Eugene clicked his tounge when he shook his head. He couldn't do anything if it was the order from the Duke. For a second he really looked just like a kid that want to rebell against his parents wishes even if he was just one step from adulthood. Eugene was only one year and a half younger than her but she always had seen him like a brat.

They went to a first floor of a main bulding where a study of a Duke was located. Maid followed them quaietly, Eugene didn't even said one more word. As they were near the door Ellaise as the older of the two had to knock. From dehind the door she heard two voices and then...

"It is Eugene, father. I come to talk to you about urgent matter" pink haired son of the Duke said even before she even had a chance to speak. According to etiquette  he had no right asking for an audience with the Duke before she does as his older sister. But Ellaise didn't said a word. She knew that it would be like that. In her first lifetime they didn't went togheter to the Duke but she was sure if she was the one that asked for an audience right now it would have been declined.

They heared a heavy sigh.

"Come in" the Duke replied. Butler opened the door and the second when he did Eugene grabed Ellaise's hand and almost shoved her in before door closed. Allaise didn't wore gloves that day... that was a terrible mistake.

Inside the study were duke and his first son Elias. They immediately stopped arguing and looked wide eyed at the two. Ellaise fought with herself to not let a word, she bitten her lip... She had to endure, she wanted to take part in this conversation not like in her previous life.

"Why did you bring Ellaise here!" The first one who shook of his first shock was Elias. All tense with silver eyes glaring at his younger brother. Personification of indinference was yelling his lungs out. "How could you even..." The Duke cut that of.

"Let go of her this instant!!!" The Duke yelled. Startled Eugene looked at his hand, he was stil clenching on Ellaise's wrist. The place that he was touching was burning red. Ellaise's face was pale, she couldn't catch a breath with pained expresion. She was dizzy, that agressive mana flow was too much... She gasped for air.

Elias reacted first before Eugene even blinked he was almost thrown away by his older brother. That force that kept Ellaise in place disapeared.

"Are you out of your mind?!" He yelled at his younger brother. Ellaise touched her head, her legs gave up and she almost fall but duke caught her in the last moment.