8

"I would like to request permission for an engagement."

Dead silence fell upon the room. Eugene almost choked.

Marriage was a very important thing for Rhaelia followers, well, it was for everyone. But there was one little detail that changes everything, people worshiping Moura and Savron can get remarried after one of the spouses passes away, divorce even frowned upon was still allowed but Rhaelia's followers were prohibited from remarrying in all circumstances. That is why most of the children raised in a household where Rhaelia is the main deity marry for love and not for convenience. And arranged marriages aren't as common as they are among followers of Moura and Savron. And because finding "the one" is so important breaking of engagements wasn't as a big deal as among others and was a quite common occurrence especially if it is among couples from two different religions.

"Ellaise interested in romance? Right. And pigs can fly!" Eugene almost shouted while he was still eating.

"No, but they can talk with food dripping down their mouth, apparently," Ellaise said coldly. She was annoyed already and it was just the beginning of this dinner. Eugene immediately closed his mouth and wiped his chin embarrassed.

"It's not like you Ellaise." Elias started. "Normally you are passive-aggressive, now you are just bluntly aggressive." It was clear that he had something else on his mind.

"You are right, young master. I had to spent too much time with Eugene. I'm starting to act like him. It is terrifying."

"Anyway..." The Duke cut in before the argument between his children started for good. "Who is this lucky man of yours? We would like to meet him if he would be part of the family"

Ellaise looked at him, took a big breath, and said words that she would never say in her previous life.

"It is marquess Rosette". Maid almost dropped the desserts but fortunately, the tart made it to the table.

"WHAT?!" Eugene shouted. Duke and Elias had shock painted all over their faces. Well, she couldn't expect anything else, if someone told her before that she would want to be engaged with John Rosette she would order guards to take away that lunatic. Who would thought that she will be that lunatic?

Elias touched her forehead with his cold, fair hand. He seemed concerned.

"You don't have a fever" he mumbled. "Maybe you really caught something from Eugene."

"Ey! Maybe I'm not as cunning and smart as you are..." he started.

"Ohh, so you finally admit that your IQ is below average." Ellaise couldn't help herself to tease him. Eugene closed his mouth and looked away with a red angry face.

"Children," Duke said sharply looking at everyone at the table. "Ellaise maybe you should enlighten us... Tell us more about your decision?"

"Of course. Our family isn't best received by other fractions, as we remained neutral. As you said, my lord 'Kroudels serve the King, no one else' and because of that we aren't of any of politic sides in nobles circles and we do not take an active part in fights between the princes."

"That is correct... What are you planning, daughter?" Duke looked at her interested.

"Nobles are annoyed and will try to turn their favorite prince against us, no matter who will become the King, and old documents are just old documents. That it would benefit us to watch the battle from behind. And marquess Rossette is a relative of one of the royal concubines and often visits the palace. It wouldn't be weird if his fiancee would come with him. I could watch the battle from the inside and make sure that whoever will win the throne won't disregard old pacts." She explained calmly.

"It is an interesting option..." He admitted. "But I have to reject your request, my daughter. The answer is no."

Ellaise wanted to cut in but the Duke silenced her with the hand gesture.

"House Kroudell isn't in an as dire situation to sell any of my children in a political marriage." At least not yet, Ellaise thought while looking at Eugene. Not yet.

"It would greatly benefit us, and we could always break off the engagement, especially when marquess is known playboy and one of Savron's followers."

"No," Duke said coldly. "I will not agree to the possibility of a union between my only daughter and that man. I appreciate your worry about the future of the House, Ellaise, but I won't change my mind. If you really like the idea of a marriage I give you my blessing in seeking your life companion, I will even have the matchmaker arranged but I won't agree for marriage from political purposes. End of discussion."

Ellaise looked at the Duke, and then Elias. His expression was unreadable, grey eyes stern and cold. He won't help her this time.

"I agree with our father, Ellaise. You are doing enough for the House already, there is no need for that sacrifice".

Ellaise was almost furious. Her work isn't enough, and it isn't a sacrifice, She knows what she is signing for, and she always could have it canceled. Keeping an eye at the royal fight is essential in surviving, finding out Indres's support and his plan before he becomes too influential is the key. She wanted to scream at them how idiotic they are, but she didn't. She had her dignity.

Ellaise looked at Eugene again, and she gritted her teeth. They won't sell her, the person that has enough brain to turn unfavored situations and get benefits from it but they will send away the weakest link in the chain. Well, they didn't know much back then, but this time she will rise up to her title and she will protect the House and crush Indres under her heal. That man will regret the day when he crossed her path.

She started to eat dessert, Elias looked like he wanted to ask something for a while now.

"Father, when that Fiona girl will be joining us?" His voice was cold and stern.

"She should arrive tomorrow at noon."

"Will she be joining us also at the table?" It was visible that he didn't like the idea of sharing meals with her.

"Well..." The Duke started, but then one of the guards entered the dining room.

"My lord, Witch of the Fortune came and want to speak with the lion of the Kroudel".

At that moment Ellaise's face was so pale that she looked like she could faint at any moment.