11

Ellaise was going through the reports from mages patrolling areas under Kroudel's protection.

A lot of the west's lands of Finteria Kingdom belongs to the Duchy. Historically the West was a country on its own ruled over by Kroudels generation after generation. Now Kalenis is just a region. The only reason why Philip I the Conqueror spared the Kroudel's a let them still reside in the area and granted them the title of the Duke is because of the Wastelands. And that they pledged their loyalty, of course, but why they did it, is a different topic. Wastelands of Cursedlands are scattered all across the continent, but the bigger and more dangerous one is located nearby to Finterias's west border. Kalenis was nad still is the buffer zone between the monstrosities of Wastelands and the land of men. And Kroudel's territory is first on the line in case of demons attack. And they were very efficient in protecting their land.

Ellaise was reading reports from Dawn Patrol. There was a manticore attack at Belantius village. Fortunately, there were no casualties among the patroling group or the civilians. The only losses were two cows and a horse. There were three manticores, a mother with two cubs. Probably the female was teaching her young how to hunt, but it does not matter.

She continued to read. Mages and knights managed to kill the cubs and wound the female manticore, but despite their efforts, it fled to the woods. Well, that is a problem. Manticores recover quickly, and furious will attack everyone and everything on her way. It will attack every village for revenge, that won't be a normal hunt. That will be bloodshed. And that matter has to be taken care of as soon as possible. Ellaise wondered that maybe it would be best if she should bring Eugene with her and personally take care of the matter. It was quite some time since she handled her sword the Lightslayer. She will have to introduce this solution to Elias and the duke.

When she was putting away the documents, a maid announced "You have a guest, my Lady."

"Let them in."

"Yes, my Lady."

The door opened and into Ellaise's study room came a woman. She was tall witch long dark-green hair. Her skin was fair, her eyes were blue with a golden ring around the pupil. She was in her forties. The woman wore elegant black west witch golden ornaments and slick black pants. The woman bowed.

"Commander Ferense greets my Lady, may Rhaelia guide you."

"May Rhaelia guide you too, commander." Cealienne Ferense, one of the best mages serving under Kroudel's name, got up with a small salute.

"What brings you here, commander?"

"I would like to request a three-day release from duty, my Lady. My daughter was admitted to Royal Magic Academy and next week will be her Welcome Ceremony."

Ellaise looked at the woman. She remembered a similar event from the past. Nothing bad came from it. And to handle that manticore presence of commander Ferense won't be necessary.

"Congratulation. I hope she will become a fine lady and as great a magician as her mother." Ellaise had a false polite smile on her face. She always treated her people fairly as they didn't deserve her resentment. She wouldn't say that she was close to them. It was more like good communication with her as the person in charge makes better results later. Morale is important. She painfully learned that lesson in her past life in the battle of Sorga.

"You don't need to praise me, my Lady".

"I do not praise. I give credit when the credit is due." And if Cealienne's Ferense daughter is as talented as her mother she will be a great asset for the Kroudel in the future. Of course, if Ellaise will win her little war. If not her end will be the same or maybe even worse.

"And when exactly that ceremony will take place? Which three days it will be?"

"Next week, my Lady. The ceremonial day will be on Thursday so I politely request Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday to be free of service."

"So it shall be those three days, then. Very well. You may go, commander."

Cealienne bowed again and thanked politely Ellaise, then left the room.

Ellaise looked at her chess. She grabbed the black King and looked at it in her hands.

"What are you planning? What could it be you have done or you will do, so I will have to change my plans?" She narrowed her eyes. "Just you wait. I will get all your little spies and make them regret ever crossing their paths with mine. And when I finally get to you..." At her lips crawled a creepy smile. "Oh, I will get you. Just you wait. You will pay... Oh, you will pay."

Ellaise put the King away at its place. She moved a white pawn instead. It is time to make a move. And the first move is hers. And she even knows what to do.

Fiona will be joining them soon, but before that is the lady's Ariadne tea party. And it happens that Ellaise is invited. There is no better place to spread and listen to gossip than tea parties. Especially Ariadne's Tempes ones. There will be guests from all religious backgrounds. That will be the best occasion to spread little bits of tactical gossip, and hear what others have to say. And that also be a great opportunity to maybe find some allies or other methods of how to get to the royal palace often without suspicion since engagement is out the table. If Ellaise remembers correctly Eugene is also invited and there will be also Marie Silven. Daughter of Count Silven from east of Kalenis. That little snake, this time Ellaise won't be fooled by her act. Ellaise had to admit Marie's acting talent was amazing, her schemes were worse she still could go far if she thought in a big scale of things. She could be a worthy opponent, but unfortunately for Marie, she was predictable. And Ellaise knew already what Marie set her eyes on.