5

Ellaise took a sip of her tea. The flavor was strong and sweet, the tea had a rosy color. The butler didn't only bring her 'something to drink' but also desserts, three little raspberry cupcakes with mint leaf on top as decoration. She glanced over to the Duke, Elias was sitting near her on the soft sofa. He looked almost as he wanted to take her hand and get 'through the news' together but he didn't.

The study was stiff and silent.

No one wanted to break the silence, especially not Ellaise. She was calm, waiting almost as eagle looking at its prey. She won't let them hid it all from her this time. That time she only knew of Fiona's existence and that was only thanks to Eugene and his impulsiveness. Ellaise had no idea about that Fiona was brought to the mansion and started to live with them, no one, even the maids never mentioned Fiona's name in Ellaise's presence. It was only to that 'incident' in West Garden Ellaise would never know about her new 'sister'.

"Fiona Resegrad is my illegitimate daughter" Duke finally spoke. Ellaise fought with herself to lift an eyebrow with amusement, she won and her face was as stoic as always.

"I know" she replied. She could read. "I read the letter". Ellaise took another sip closely watching changes in duke's expressions. He was uncomfortable in this situation. She hid her smirk by bitting one of the cupcakes. 'Mmmm, delicious' she thought liking of the cream off her lips. Everyone had a weakness, Ellaise's was a sweet tooth.

"Soon after Dorothea's departure, I made decisions that I am not proud of..." Duke cleared his throat and continued "Not long ago came to me news that my bad decisions and regretable actions weren't fruitless."

Ellaise fought with herself to not start eating another cupcake, the moment wasn't fitting but the dessert was calling her. Her strong will won that time.

"I apologize to you, my children as a father, but as a man and a duke, I have to take responsibility for my mistakes. So I decided to bring this girl in." Elias clenched his teeth, he was still angry but he controlled his anger well. It wasn't hard to figure out that Fiona and her existence was the cause of conflict between the Duke and his oldest son that Ellaise witnessed when she came to the study. It was understandable, everyone would be angry after listening to that news. Well, almost...

"I understand your anger" Duke shook his head. "I will talk with Eugene alone later, but I want you to know that Fiona's appearance won't change anything in Kroudel's family." Duke looked right in Ellaise's golden eyes. "And I want you Ellaise especially to know that even if you aren't from my blood you are one and only official daughter and young Lady of house Kroudel."

She knew that it would be stupid to take away her position and give it to illegitimate daughter when everyone thinks that she is the original Ellaise and the true young Lady of the house. Ellaise wanted to take another sip of the tea but she noticed a concerned look from Elias. She decided to spoke up for his sake.

"I understand. As I am not from my Duke's and the Duchess blood I cannot complain about any personal affairs in that matter, but I am thankful for shown concern of my wellbeing. I will treat that girl according to her status." In translation - Your not my father, and the late Duchess is not my mother. I wanted you to be my father, but you didn't want me as your daughter. Be concerned about your true children's wellbeing, not mine, because I don't care anymore. As long as you won't take away my title I am ok with everything.

Duke sighed.

"You are my daughter, even if you don't see yourself as a part of this family you are a Kroudel and all matters of the family concern you too. I had no idea why I was worried about your reaction." The last sentence he murmured shooking his head. "You are not an outsider and that how long you can hold a grudge is only proving my point of you being a Kroudel."

Ellaise chose to ignore that last remark as she started eating the second cupcake, but she had to admit if holding grudges was a competition she would probably win.

" I am fulfilling all my responsibilities as the young Lady of the House. I take part in socializing events as a representative of the family and I am willing to provide aid to the future head of the House if there is a need for it." Ellaise replied as she fought with herself to lick off the cream from her fingers. Elias handed her his handkerchief, she noded as a 'thank you'.

"That is one of the problems Ellaise. You 'act as' member of the Kroudel family, but you forget you are a member of this family."

"That is only because when I got here I was expected to act like someone else. Now I'm fulfilling those expectations I'm still acting even thou my act isn't accurate." The atmosphere got tense. She knew that she probably should hold that remark to herself but it was true. Duke didn't want her as a daughter, he wanted her to act like Ellaise, speak like Ellaise, be Ellaise not only to the public, he wanted his beloved daughter back. But she wasn't her, she was just a look-alike, a replacement. All that she was doing newer was good enough, she was only praised when she did something exactly as true Ellaise would do it. After some time she started to rebel and never stopped. She created her ideal self: cold and proud, someone that doesn't beg for love that she could never get.

"Ellaise!" The Duke started, but she cut in.

"It is alright, my lord. I just want to ask one more question".

Duke sighed again and waved his hand for her to continue.

"It is about the West Garden. Will Fiona as my lord's biological daughter be allowed to use it as well?

Elias gasped in shock at the sudden question. Duke in anger got up from his chair.

"Nonsense! West Garden is a sacred garden and only the young Lady and the Lady can come and go there as they please. That's unheard of for a bastard to be allowed there, that would ridiculous. Only you have the right to that garden. What nonsense are you spouting all of a sudden?"

As Ellaise thought. That time no one told Fiona to not go to the West Garden because no one even thought of that possibility. What was left was question was Fiona just brave and stupid to show up in the West Garden in front of the official young Lady or she had strong backing from the very beginning. Ellaise suspected the latter, but she had to confirm it. And find who it is of course.

"I just asked to make sure" Ellaise replied calmly. "Now I would like to excuse myself." She said adjusting her dress, and lowering her head as she waited at Duke's approval. He sighed yet again.

"You may go." Living the study Ellaise took the last cupcake with her, she heard Elias's chuckle as she did.