12

Even thou Ellaise got permission for the leading expedition to kill manticore. There were no signs about its activity, current location, or where the liar may be. She didn't like to sit still in this situation, but she couldn't lose all days to search for the beast personally. She had to send troops instead. If they find the manticore, they will notify her as soon as possible. In the meantime, she had to get ready.

Lady Ariadne does not throw her parties often, so every one of them is an important social event. Ellaise had a reputation that she had to keep.

The maids brushed and braided her hair in a crown and pinned with sapphires. Two of the golden locks were loose, they encircled the face and made it looks smaller. Ellaise put on long sapphire earrings, gems in them made an elegant pattern. And besides that, she wore a petite necklace.

The top of her dress was black witch exposed collarbones. The sleeves were long, the waist slimmed down witch a tight built-in corset. The bottom of the dress was layered, the outer shorter layer was black. The second layer which was longer was a deep blue color. Since she was going witch Eugene Ellaise had to wear a pair of elegant black gloves.

Ellaise looked like a thorny black rose, beautiful and dangerous.

She smiled at her reflection in the mirror.

Ellaise left her chambers and went to the garden to meet with her escort and Eugene. This time her escort will be sir Caroll. She couldn't take Veran with her. Someone called Kroudel's Beast isn't fit for social gatherings. She didn't want to be the reason for the panic outbreak at the party. Well, not this time.

Eugene and sir Caroll were waiting near the carriage. The second bastard was wearing a light-colored suit, his pinkish hair wasn't a mess they normally are. He took care of himself. His golden eyes met hers, and she immediately began to feel their's auras clashing. Sir Caroll noticed her and came to her side. The pressure lessened.

"You look like you were going to a funeral." Eugene snarled. Ellaise raised her eyebrow and glanced at her escort. Didn't look like the type to tell the duke anything.

"If it would be your funeral I would be wearing gold." Sir Caroll gasped with quiet "My Lady!". Eugene's face was red with anger, he looked like hi wanted to say "and vice versa" but he couldn't. Wishing death upon the only lady in the House is a serious crime. Ellaise smiled a little from her small victory.

***

"Beautiful dress you are wearing, lady Ellaise." A blond-haired girl named Ginevra said while drinking her tea. She was wearing pink all over with small ribbons in the sleeves of her dress. There was no mockery in her voice, but Ellaise didn't like the tone. "Are you grieving, my Lady?" Someone else said, but Ellaise didn't pay them attention as lady Ariadne herself joined them at the table.

Even Ellaise had to admit that lady Ariadne was a beauty. Her eyes were clear they had a light blue color that remained Ellaise of frozen lakes in the mids of winter. Her complexion was white as snow and perfect, with rosy lips curled in a small smile, she truly was lovely. Her long chestnut hair had golden reflexes under the sun. She was wearing a dark green dress witch short sleeves. All her jewelry had emeralds and onyx in it.

"Greetings, lady Ariadne." All the ladies greeted the host witch warm smiles, Ellaise was the only one who didn't smile.

"What do you all think about lady's Grace Filliard dress?" Ariadne asked the unsaid question was "Do you also think it is inappropriate?"

All the eyes land on said woman. She was sitting alone at the bench and looked at the flowers around her. Her dress was all black without any ornaments, no jewelry whatsoever. She just was sitting there watching a bluebird that sat near her.

Every lady that wanted gossip about Ellaise's dress choice was silenced with that one question. Lady Grace was grieving the loss of her mother. And no one in their right mind wouldn't say a word about her behavior or style choices. Her presence here is proof of pure strength that young woman has as she didn't refuse the invitation.

"I thought so." Lady Ariadne looked at them still smiling, but it wasn't so warm anymore.

"Would you mind if I talked with lady Ellaise in private for a while?" She asked. Two of the ladies nodded, one was a bit nervous but followed them. They went to the garden, where were men and other ladies from families worshiping other gods than Rhaelia.

Now only lady Ariadne and Ellaise were sitting at the table.

"How I earned that honor, lady Ariadne?" Ellaise took one little sip from her cup. She bit her left cheek, just to be safe. She came here to gain sympathy and that wouldn't work if she wouldn't touch the food or the tea that was served for her.

Ariadne didn't answer instead she again looked at Grace.

"Poor thing. She lost her mother, her guide in Arcana. I think it is the most painful way to lose someone so dear. I only can imagine how she will hate that little thing. But what I am talking about, you understand her the best."

Grace's mother died giving birth, just like the late Duchess did. Little lady Ariadne knew Eugene do not only killed his own mother but his older sister as well. She didn't hold grugdes with him for that. If the true Ellaise was still alive, she would never have this life. But she understood Grace's feelings a bit and sympatized with them.

"And all that just to have a Rotten Fruit." That was harsh statement, very hard statement but true. Men usually don't have mana and can't use magic so they are useless in art of Arcana. And a male child that killed his mother was looked down upon as a Rotten Fruit and no man ever can get rid of that title as it is a scar at family's honor. And always will be.