"The hated one"

Hi! A bit earlier, but why not? Warning spoilers ahead, but nothing that wasn't hinted before. Enjoy!

There was no light in the cell, and any outside sound couldn't reach his ears. The shackles were heavy, as he was chained to the cold stone wall by the collar, wrists, and ankles. By the piercing pain where the shackles touched his bare skin, he knew they were silver, and probably enchanted. Veran didn't know much about magic, and in this situation, he especially didn't care. He wouldn't try to escape. He didn't want to run away. That was his choice. A simple decision, his life in exchange for hers.

Her image flashed before his eyes. It was that scene by the river. She was scared, tired on the ground with legs covered in cuts from thorns. Her petrified and betrayed expression when he drew his sword at her and when from the bushes came Indres's soldiers. Look on her face broke his heart, there wasn't a single moment that he didn't hate himself for that, but that was part of the deal.

Veran knew that when they let him see his Lady one last time, there will be only hatred and detest in her eyes. He deserved that, but he hoped she would forgive him someday. But maybe it would be better if she would never forgive him, that would be easier for him, it would ease the guilt. Even thou he knew he did the right thing, he betrayed her and her trust. And because of that, he would never forgive himself.

She is strong, the strongest person he ever knew. She will adapt, she will find someone who will do a better job in keeping her safe. She will live, and maybe someday she will be happy. And that was all he wished for.

Veran heard steps echoing in the stone hallway. The beast inside him growled at him in his mind, but it didn't do anything to come out, the spirit was angry and uneasy, and chains weakened it.

The door swung open, and four knights entered the cell. One of them carried a lighted torch. Veran didn't look up there was no need as he didn't hear his Lady amongst then. Even if she was with them, he didn't have enough guts to look her straight in the eye. not after what he has done.

One of the knights stepped forward and drew his sword. Veran assumed he was the commander.

"Any last words, beast?" the knight spoke. Veran didn't avert his gaze from the cell floor.

"According to the deal, I have the right to see her." He said coldly, Beast's growl escaped his lips. Two knights in the back looked at each other. One of them had a smell of fear.

Indres swore on his name that after of all the trials Veran would see Ellaise with his own eyes to make sure that Indres kept his part of the deal. And to be able to say the last goodbye.

The commander smiled. "Well then...". Now two of knights had the smell of fear. One ricked of it.

"B-but the Miss had issued..." He was immediately silenced by the other one. "He is chained". A cold thrill ran Veran's back. He assumed they didn't know he can hear their whispers. Beast almost bared its fangs that started to grow inside Veran jaws.

Two more knights entered the cell. There was no Ellaise. But they were carrying a bag. A big. Black. Bag. And something was dripping out of it. It smelled like blood.

Crack! Crack! The bones were breaking, shifting, reshaping, and regrowing. He howled baring his fangs as the painful process of Change begun. Magical chains tensed, burning his skin but he didn't care at this point.

"ShE WaS SuPpOsEd tO Be DeMoTeD... To Be LeT Go!" The sound that he made was half scream, half growl, as the magic prevented the full Change from happening Veran stuck between forms.

"The deal stated that she would get the slightest possible punishment, and she did. She died quickly, she should be tortured and die slow. Did you really believe that she could be just demoted to a commoner after what she has done?" He laughed. "But you wanted to SEE her didn't you, beast?" Commander made a hand signal.

Thud! From the bag has rolled out the head. Golden hair was scattered on the floor. Eyes open, empty, dead.

M-m-master. He felt like something was ripping him apart from inside out. She is dead. Dead! And this is his fault. He killed her.

There wasn't a person in the entire world that he hated more than himself.

"From now one he is under the protection of the House Kroudel" "You are free now, don't call me master" "You don't need that collar. You are a human, not a beast don't let them call you otherwise." Memories rushed through his head. Hear breaking, tears streaming down. He betrayed her, he killed her. She was dead because of him. This was all his fault. All his fault. He wanted to save her but he murdered her instead.

The Beast took control, full of rage and grief. The chains tensed again. This time even the commander took one step back getting his sword ready. The Beast howled and growled trying to free itself.

"Even you aren't able to break those chains" the commander yelled while swinging his sword.

Thud! The chains were ripped out of the wall. The wounded, still in shackles Beast was free.

"Reinforcements!!!" Commander screamed but it was too late as the big, sharp wolfish teeth were ripping him apart. There were a lot of screams and blood.

Beast lied down near the severed head of its master. Gently poking it with its nose. When Veran came to his senses, he brushed off the blood from Ellaise's forehead. With eyes full of tears, a heart full of hate and regret he grabbed one of the swords and pierced his own heart...

***

When he opened his eyes while goddess's words "You shall remember. Your punishment is to live with this guilt." were still ringing in his ears as he rushed out to find HER. To make sure she really is alive and this isn't his own hell that he definitely deserved.