10

Her Sword and Shield, she thought.

Ellaise was slowly coming back to reality. She planned to take Grifnest's twins before the battle of Shinaz. House Grifnest was one of the smaller houses of the West. Famous because of generations of skilled warriors, serving under House Kroudel bravely and honorably. Until one black sheep ruined everything. Ellaise only heard of how Fernand Grifnest threw away all respect everybody had to his family. Lost himself in hazard and addictions, wanted to divorce his wife for a courtezan even. And he was a follower of Rhaelia and with this disgrace, he and his blood lost her favor. His wife righteously left, he lost the face of the whole House. And without the favor of Rhaelia, he and his children became godless and so all other families cut ties with them. But he had to pay the debt and money that he owed. His greed made him sell his children, and since they were godless not even their mother could interfere. They became servants of Count Grenger in name and slaves in real life behind the closed door.

Miranda and Tyson. She is a talented mage with high magic power and short mana restoration period for reserve as big as hers. Trained as a battlemage but her specialty is defense magic and creating forcefields. Tyson, on the other hand, was skilled in swordsmanship. He alone could wreak havoc on the battlefield. Both of them were dangerous alone, but together they were almost unstoppable. Almost. And that "almost" was the key.

She planned to claim her Sword and Shield later, but hearing Witch's words she will have to make her moves faster in order to win. She didn't want to gain her titles. Ellaise didn't mind being called the Lion of Kroudel. It was the second title that she wanted more to avoid. She wouldn't care that much if it wasn't for Elias. Ellaise unknowingly got attached to him, after he saved in her previous life. After that, she started noticing small signs of brotherly love in her direction. It was enough to hate the second title even more and that wasn't just because of her honor.

Ellaise blinked twice and came back to reality.

"Do you happen to know more, my daughter?" Duke looked at her coldly with suspicion. It isn't common to be visited by a Witch of Fortune, furthermore hearing her calling one of your children by a strange title. One that is seemingly impossible to obtain by members of your House.

"How come you are called the Lion?" His voice was sharp, Ellaise just looked him straight into his golden eyes. Face still like a calm, stone mask.

"I do not know, my Duke, of how and why will that happen. According to the Witch's prophecy, this will be my title, so I claimed it as mine." Are you implying that Witch lied? The question wasn't said but was hanging in the air. No one dares to say that Witches of the Fortune are wrong. Not even the King.

"So you will be the first Lion of Kroudel then." He cleared his throat. "And what about the part of the Sword and Shield, do you know what that means?"

"I do not. I do not know what the future holds. The only thing I know is that I shall claim them, and supposedly I will have that planned. The rest is unknown to me. And mentioned Sword and Shield my be literal or as well they may be a metaphor." She remained calm. Duke looked at her a while longer, and with a sigh, he averted his gaze. Now all his attention was fixed on Elias.

"You have spoken out of turn in front of the Witch of Fortune. Your mistake could have cost our House to lose our face. In the best-case scenario. Are you aware of that?" His words were a lot harsher than normally. Eugene looked a bit amused by that situation. It is the first time the Duke is angry and disappointed in his first perfect son's behavior.

"Disrespecting the Witches of Fortune is equal to disrespecting the goddesses and gods themself, Elias."

Elias lowered his gaze and head.

"Yes, I understand and I apologize, father."

"Magic and fate are not topics for men to discuss. If we weren't Rhaelia followers we couldn't be even in one room with them, not to mention cutting in the conversation. Do you know what could happen if the Witch decided that House Kroudel disrespected her?"

"I... I imagine"

"What could happen?" Duke's eyes were cold and sharp as ice. Elias was silent for a moment, but the duke pressured him. Ellaise knew that he behaved out of line, because of her. He saw how uncomfortable she was at that moment, but was silent as well. It was too big of a mistake on his part, which could cost too much. And even when Ellaise thought that the duke's word is harsh Elias deserved it. He should not interfere with that matter ever again.

"What could happen?!" The duke repeated. "Answer me, son."

"... Our fate could be changed for far worse. We could become godless, and our House could be cursed for eternity."

Elias looked down at his shoes. He kept his head low with guilt, but his silver eyes didn't show it as much. It was more feelings of humiliation than anything else. Even when they were alone in the guest room right now, and the duke has the right to scold his children if they made a serious mistake and it shouldn't bring shame among the family. It was because of the expression on Eugene's face. He was happy because now he isn't the one being scolded but "golden boy" Elias is. It was clear that Eugene won't let Elias forget that day.

Ellaise looked at him with cold eyes. The look on her face said: know your place. They fought with stares for a while, but finally, his smirk disappeared.

"So are you aware now of what your behavior could bring?"

"Yes, Father." Elias said and left the room without another word.