6

Ellaise always believed that saying "Be close to your friends and even closer to your enemies" is true, and it was perfect in situations like this. She couldn't fight openly just yet. First, it would be unwise, second, it would be very suspicious that Ellaise knew about some things that she shouldn't have any idea about. Well, it wouldn't be just unwise, it would be plain stupid.

So when Ellaise asked for an outing to the city, she took her usual escort. Veran. She kept him by her side and watched him closely. All the trust she had in him long gone. She didn't know when Veran switched sides or why but she had to find this out while pretending that nothing has changed. It was quite a hard task.

Veran was in his fully human form, wearing simple dark clothing. His jet black hair was messy as always, his also black eyes were in contrast with his white skin. Veran even in his human form was tall and because of that could be easily spotted in the crowd. Ellaise, on the other hand, was wearing a high-waisted burgundy skirt, white shirt with long sleeves and golden buttons, and black high buts. Her hair was tied up in a ponytail with two little braids around it. She was wearing small ruby earrings in the shape of a single tear. Her golden eyes and hair weren't causing yet much of attention, as the rumor of Kroudel's witch has yet to be spread.

It was still safe going out like that, the only thing that has worried her was Veran. His attitude to be exact. He was walking behind her, constantly looking at the ground, never looking her in the eye, and didn't even say a word. That was ... weird. He didn't usually act like that.

Ellaise shook her head, that was concerning but the more pressing matter was to find something suitable as a welcome gift to Fiona. Something subtle that will put her in her place and also will be received as a gift from goodwill. this time she will be prepared and will use Fiona as her pawn that will lead her to those bastards that from shadows led to House Kroudel's downfall. Last time she found out about the snake in the garden a "little" too late, when Fiona already had a strong backup and was liked in social circles. This time Ellaise won't let that happen. Ellaise knew that Fiona was too stupid for being something more than easy to manipulate pawn, this was her turn to pull the strings. But now she had to find a good gift. Well, that was trouble. Ellaise was in a jewelry store and she was looking at all the accessories presented to her.

"What about this necklace, lady?" assistant presented a simple necklace with a silver camellia flower. A scentless flower, yeah that would be good. But not a necklace. Fiona will become a member of the Rhaelia worshiping family, and the welcome gift indicates a position in the family. On his first birthday, Ellias get a single gold earring which means hi will be the head of a family, Ellaise as Duke brought her to the mansion got a golden necklace with ruby. So that means she is second in order of command and is an aid to the head. Eugene got a bracelet that he is supposed to wear on his right hand, 3rd in command, as a hand he is supposed to aid the neck and support the head. Only Fiona will get the silver, as she is not worthy of gold. And since it is the young Lady's responsibility to welcome another female in the family she has the right to choose a welcome gift, Duke will only hand it. In the previous timeline, Ellaise had no idea that Fiona joined the family and the Duke choose it instead. It was a silver brooch. But Fiona didn't deserve the position of the heart. No...

"It is a fine necklace, but I think the ring will be better. Do you have something of a similar pattern? That camellia flower really caught my interest." Ellaise said looking at the assistant, she nodded and began looking.

"And what do you think? About a camellia ring?" Ellaise glanced at Veran, who was standing near the door. He flinched, clearly uncomfortable.

"Everything master chooses will be good". 'Master' again. What is wrong with him, why is he suddenly acting like that?

Ellaise turned to face him, Veran looked at the ground avoiding her eyes.

"You promised to never call me like that again" her voice was a bit colder than she wanted, but she couldn't help it.

"Yes, mas... My Lady" He still didn't look her in the eyes, backing in the corner. That was concerning, she would have to lie to herself if she said she wasn't worried about him. It is hard to change feelings to the person that you care about. He never acted like that, not after accustoming to live in the mansion.

"Veran look at me. What is happening?" He didn't respond. Ellaise took two steps forward, she was right before him. He still refused to look her in the eyes, avoiding her glance.

"Look at me" Her voice was hard, she grabbed his chin and forced him to look in her eyes. With his black ones, she saw regret and hatred as deep as the ocean, but what was weird she had a sense that all that hate was directed inwards. She was confused.

"Why did you avoided my eyes?" Why are you acting so weird, not saying a word, looking down, like a poor, beaten dog? She didn't voice her last question, but it was on her tongue.

He wanted to look away but she was grabbing his chin too hard to allow him that. A small regretful smile crawled on his lips.

"'Couse I didn't deserve it". Suprised Ellaise wanted to say something, but at that moment the assistant came back. She immediately let Veran go.

She tried to focus on the ring, but her thoughts and worries were still wandering towards her escort.

***

Hi! I remind you about commenting bellow the previous post. You can choose between Eugene's POV, Elias's POV, Veran's POV, and Fiona's POV.