21. Spring Festival

Sakura was tossing again in yet another uncomfortable hotel bed and adjusted herself beside Sasuke, her forehead just slightly touching his bare shoulder. They were both exhausted since their wedding night, when they'd decided to skip the formality of a honeymoon and just go back to what they were doing before and continue traveling together.

All that travel had taken a toll on them though, so for the past week, the couple had been resting and roaming around the town that was their current stop. Sakura had even seen preparations for the Spring Festival, and managed to find kimonos for both her and her husband just in time.

It was tonight that they'd gone to that festival. Sasuke looked exceptionally handsome in traditional clothes, it made Sakura blush all over again. Her face started heating up even more when she remembered how Sasuke had looked at her when she finished getting ready: he blinked in an almost dumbfounded sort of way, taking in how his wife's emerald eyes seemed to glow even brighter when wearing green. He then slowly looked her up and down, tracing every inch of her body with his eyes. They've been inseparable for months now, but moments like this still caught him off guard.

"W-what is it?" Sakura asked, suddenly feeling self-conscious. "Does it look bad? It was the only one I could find that could fit--"

Sasuke blinked again as if to wake himself out of a trance. "Huh? What? No, I--you--" he looked away and let out a short breath. "Your hair. I just noticed how long it's gotten."

Sakura brushed back a lock of her loose hair behind her ear. "Eh? Oh, you're right. I didn't even notice either," she chuckled. "I wonder if I should cut it again..." she thought out loud, while taking another peek at herself in the mirror. "What do you think, Sasuke-kun?" She looked back at him for an answer, only to find him giving her yet another intense stare.

"Y-you're beautiful...either is fine..."

Men are so unhelpful.

Sakura giggled at her husband's awkwardness, which she still found quite endearing. Little did she know that he was suddenly thinking about their nights together, and came to a realization that he particularly enjoyed grabbing a fistful of Sakura's hair during sex...She wouldn't cut it too short, would she?

Oblivious to her husband's straying thoughts, Sakura locked her arm with his and together they headed out into town.

**************************************************

Sakura took it upon herself to always wake up earlier than Sasuke to make him breakfast, even if it meant staring at the ceiling for ten minutes and fighting with her inner self that yes, she should indeed get up and not go back to sleep.

Besides, it wasn't her fault that she didn't get to prepare any groceries ahead of time to save her the trip she had to make to the supermarket right now. She had planned on getting some things after the festival, but Sasuke strangely insisted on going straight back to the hotel--

Sakura saw her green kimono laying on the floor.

Oh, yeah. That was last night. Starting to blush again profusely, she sat up and took a look at her man who was still fast asleep.

I have no idea what got into him all of a sudden, but I am definitely not complaining.

Full of enthusiasm now, Sakura carefully got out of bed and started stretching. Sleep? Who needs sleep anyways? I'm great. I feel good.

***********************************************

Sakura did not feel so good. She sat on her knees, hunched over the toilet and letting out the last of her throwup. What on earth was that smell anyways, making her queasy to no avail?

It wasn't until she got through brushing her teeth and washing her face that Sakura came to an important realization: that she was an idiot.

This was definitely her third time throwing up out of nowhere in the past couple of weeks. How could she not have put two and two and two together?

She needed to go to a pharmacy and she needed to get there now.

*************************************************

Sasuke woke up to the smell of eggs and sausages. As soon as he opened his eyes, he saw his lovely wife arranging small plates of food on the little table in the corner. Just his luck, he thought, since he was practically starving at the moment.

"Ah, Sasuke-kun, you're awake?" Sakura asked casually.

"Mm. Good morning."

"Good morning, dear. Food is ready; you should wash up quickly so you can come eat it while it's still warm. I'll peel some more fruit in the meantime." Sasuke nodded and did as he's told.

But when it came time for breakfast, Sasuke noticed that Sakura had barely touched her food. In fact, she'd been fidgeting next to him for the past ten minutes, glancing at Sasuke from the corner of her eye. It was starting to make him nervous.

"Sakura...Did I... do something wrong?"

"Huh? What? No no no of course not."

"Then, what is going on?"

Sakura turned to her side so she could be fully facing her husband. "Sasuke-kun...I need to tell you something." Her husband looked at her intently.

"You see, umm...I..."

"Sakura. It's okay."

The simple reassurance from Sasuke both unnerved Sakura and comforted her. She smiled though, then reached for the Uchiha's hand and held it gently between her palms.

"I'm...pregnant," Sakura finally said in a soft, low voice. Her cheeks were flushed. Her eyes were as shy as eyes could get. But most importantly, she was smiling.

Sasuke on the other hand, seemed to have completely forgotten how to breathe.

"Sasuke-kun, are you--"

"Are you sure?" the Uchiha asked suddenly. "You're...really pregnant?"

"Mm. I got a pregnancy test this morning."

And it was that moment that his brain finally let it sink in. Sakura is pregnant. Sakura is pregnant. You are going to be a father. After all this time...this is your reality now, Uchiha Sasuke.

As if sensing her husband's emotions settling in, Sakura squeezed Sasuke's hand a little tighter. Pulling him in closer, she placed their hands over her belly and they just sat there for a few moments, somehow looking at and away from each other at the same time.

"Sakura."

"I love you, Uchiha Sasuke."

How is it that those words will always catch Sasuke off guard, no matter how many times he hears it? He will never know. But that didn't matter right now, because he believed them every time. Sakura loves him. Sakura was now giving him a child, a family.

Sasuke slowly let go of his wife's hands and instead reached for her face. He looked again into those unchanging eyes he loved so much. He caressed her cheek and softly brushed her hair behind her ear. With a smile shyly dancing on his lips, he leaned forward, placed his forehead against Sakura's, and closed his eyes.

Mom...Dad...Nii-san....Are you seeing me?