18

Louis just put down the grocery bag he was carrying as his phone starts to ring. With a sigh he answers the face call from his oldest sister Lottie.

"Hi Lots, what's up?" he asks her and makes room for Harry to walk past him with the other bag of stuff.

"Dad wants to sell Clifford." Lottie says without beating around the bush.

"He what?!" Louis exclaims shocked. "Why?!"

He is so confused, because Clifford - their family dog - is an angel. He never makes trouble, he behaves better than the kids in the house most of the time.

Lottie sighs and Louis notices immediately that she tries to hold back tears. Everyone loves that crazy dog.

"He claims we can't take care of him anymore. With mum being in the hospital, him working and us kids being at school."

"Then I'll take him." he decides without thinking it over first.

Lottie frowns. "But I thought your landlord doesn't allow pets?"

Louis shrugs. "It's gonna be alright." he says. "Cliff is an angel. He doesn't bark a lot so my neighbours shouldn't be bothered. And because he is part poodle there will be no problem with fur and possible allergies."

The girl smiles. "Okay. When can you get him?" She frowns. "I'm not sure what dad has already planned for him."

Louis heart breaks a little at the sad tone of his sisters voice. "I'll be there tomorrow. Before noon." he says determined.

She gives him a small smile. "Okay Lou. Thank you."

They say their goodbye and after Louis hangs up he just looks on the black screen of his phone.

"You alright?" Harry asks, placing a hand on Louis' shoulder.

The smaller man sighs and turns so he can lean his forehead agains Harry's chest. "My father is an absolute asshole." He scoffs. "Selling our dog because no one can take care of him. He could have called me. He could have asked if I had a place for him to stay, but no! This bastard has to sell him." Louis takes a deep breath. "I bet he didn't talk to mum about it either." he whispers.

Harry places one hand on Louis' back, the other runs through the brown hair. They stay that way for a moment, both deep in their thoughts.

Until a certain irish man barges into the apartment.

"I swear to you, she would love that!" Niall says very loudly.

"But I suck at writing, Niall. I--" Liam stops talking abruptly, but Louis can't find the strength to move away from Harry's warmth.

"Uhm, is Lou alright?" Niall asks concerned for his friend.

Louis feels Harry shrug. "Is father being a dick."

At this Louis turns around, pointing at Niall. "You have to come with me up to Donny tomorrow morning." he says, leaving no room for discussions.

Liam looks alarmed. "Wait, we have a test tomorrow at 10."

Louis nods. "I know and I don't care. My father wants to sell Clifford. So I have to save him."

Liam still doesn't look convinced. "And you wanna throw away that grade for it? Do you know how much your father pays for the school?" he argues getting irritated.

Louis shrugs. "I don't wanna become a lawyer in the first place, you know that. And it's his fault that I have to drive up to Donny to get Clifford before he is sold to probably some asshole who wouldn't treat him right."