Song of Tonight

Princess Bubblegum groaned in exhaustion and dropped her head hard on the table, making a thump sound. The paperwork around her was a lot, probably enough to fill 50 long novels. 

She heard a familiar snicker. She looked up to her window to see the familiar face of Marceline, the vampire. What does she want now? Bubblegum formed a frown at seeing the unwanted companion. 

"What do you want?" Bubblegum grumpily asked, rubbing the tiredness of her eyes as she looked at Marceline. "You look dead," she snickered, "I was gonna ask if you want to hang out."

Bubblegum scowled at her suggestion. "I'm busy," she replied as she picked up another paper and started to write on it. 

Marceline floated inside and scoffed at the papers that were waiting to be read, signed, and corrected on. "I don't even think you want to do this," Marceline commented as she picked up a paper. Bubblegum got the paper from Marceline and started reading it. "I have to," Bubblegum then started to write on it, "it's my responsibility." 

Marceline scoffed, "responsibility this, responsibility that. Chill out, Bubs." Marceline floated toward her and took the paper from her hands, "let me take you out tonight."

Bubblegum frowned and looked at her companion. She sighed and replied, "just make it quick." 

Marceline let out a satisfied grin, showing off her sharp teeth, and then carried Bubblegum bridal-style out of her window. 

Marceline brought Bubblegum to amazing places. She brought her to a cave full of jewels and glittering crystals. And then to a stream that sings all the melodies that you request to your hearts content. And then she treated her to a coffee in her favorite shop. 

Bubblegum giggled as they walked in the forest, hand in hand. "This was a fun day," Bubblegum commented as she smiled at Marceline. "Glad you liked it," Marceline replied, "but I got one last surprise for you."

Marceline lead Bubblegum to a cliff with the view of the whole valley and the setting sun. There was a willow tree that was giving shade to a picnic blanket with a basket and guitar. Bubblegum gasped in amazement as she neared the blanket. Marceline chuckled as she watched her hesitate. 

"Sit down," she said, "it's all for you." She picked up her guitar and then started to tune it. Bubblegum blushed at the simple phrase and sat down. 

Marceline opened the basket and handed her a piece of raspberry pie. She gave her a fork and she thanked her. 

When Marceline finally tuned her guitar, she looked at the moon then smiled at Bubblegum. "What?" Bubblegum asked as she blushed at the girl's gaze. Marceline chuckled and smiled. Then she started to sing.

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
And let me see what spring is like
On Jupitar and Mars
In other words, hold my hand
In other words, baby, kiss me

Fill my heart with song
And let me sing forevermore
You are all I long for
All I worship and adore
In other words, please be true
In other words, I love you

Fill my heart with song
And let me sing forevermore
You are all I long for
All I worship and adore
In other words, please be true
In other words, in other words

I love you