Chapter Twelve

Ethan noticed his mother leaving the table and decided now was his chance to ask her for what he needed.

"I've got to just talk to Madre. I won't be long." He whispered in Ivy's ear before kissing her head quickly.

He found his mother in the kitchen, preparing to bring out a trifle. Despite her love of Italian desserts, trifle was the first English dessert she'd learnt to love. Although it was usually followed by heaps of Gelato which she imported straight from the town she'd grown up in.

"Luca, what's wrong bambino?" His mother asked, stepping away from the fridge and coming to stand in front of him.

What was wrong with him? Realising he couldn't back down now, he squared his shoulders.

"Mamma, I need bisnonna's engagement ring." He wasn't sure why he was giving his great-grandmother's engagement ring to Ivy, but it felt right.

She'd left the ring to the first born son that her granddaughter, Ethan's mother, had. The ring technically belonged to him, but he'd always allowed his mother to keep it.

Never did he think he'd actually use it. It was unusual and old fashioned not to mention tiny. He'd seen pictures of his great grandmother, but despite her small size she had been a cantankerous woman. She made his mother look almost sane from the stories he'd heard.

She had been a proud Italian woman and had been deeply loved by her husband, who had given her the ring upon their engagement. A ring that had already been passed down many generations in his own family.

And now he planned to pass it to Ivy. He wanted to show her that although their marriage had been arranged, he would take his vows seriously. He really would try to treat their marriage as a genuine one and treat her like the princess he so often called her.

He wasn't in love with Ivy. He'd never been in love. But he cared for her even after only a brief time together. Around her, he could breathe easily again.

His mind snapped back to the present as his mother rushed up to him and began jumping and hugging him at the same time.

"Oh, my bambino is getting married." Tears formed in her eyes as she grabbed his face and pulled him down to kiss every part of it.

"I take it you approve, Mamma?" He smiled down at her whilst tears continued to pour from her eyes.

"How could I not? She seems like a wonderful girl."

He watched her face, looking for any signs of unhappiness, but she found none. "You don't mind that she's a Thorn?" He asked worriedly.

His and Ivy's families had been rivals for many decades. He didn't just expect his mother to be okay with this, but her smile remained.

"I see the way you look at that girl when you think no one is watching. You smile wider every time she looks at you. She makes you happy. Besides, her last name won't matter when it becomes ours."

Ethan had no idea what his mother was talking about. He was sure he didn't smile at Ivy any differently than the rest of his family. But he wasn't going to question her when she was being so supportive.

"Well, Ivy may not take my last name," he explained to her carefully. They hadn't really discussed the finer details of their deal, but he knew it was more than possible that she wouldn't want to take his name.

His mother only waved her hands at him dramatically.

"Rubbish, the girl is smitten with you. She will take your last name, I know it." He turned away from her, not knowing what to say to that.