Chapter 2- When's the Baby Due?

Taehyung fiddled absentmindedly with the buttons on the cash register, wishing he were literally anywhere other than a Bargain Mart.

That seemed to be his only personality trait at this point, wishing he were somewhere else; when he was with his friends he wished that he was alone; when he was alone he wished he was with his friends; when he was at work he wished he was in his bed; when he was in his bed he wished he had something to do.

The only time Taehyung felt truly content and satisfied was when he was in his school's art studio, gently stroking the bright colors across the textured canvas, the early morning sun filtering in through the stained glass windows, lighting up the whole room in a vast, beautiful enigma of colors.

"Oi, Tae, stop spacing out," Jin told him, flicking him on the back of the head. He rubbed the sore area bashfully, apologizing quietly to his elder.

Jin had only been working at Bargain Mart for a few days and he had already almost lost his job twice. It seemed he couldn't keep a job anywhere for more than a month, which was pretty surprising considering how responsible his friend was in most aspects of his life. Taehyung guessed that Jin just didn't do well with authority. He was too outspoken. Tae wished he could be like that sometimes.

As overbearing as Jin was, however, it was better than being alone with Min Yoongi for hours at a time. Taehyung had no idea what that guy's problem was. He just stood there, day after day, pouting and grumbling and staring out the window. In fact, that's exactly what he was doing when Taehyung looked over at him.

"Hey, Yoongi," Jin called over to him. The blonde looked over at him dully.

"Yeah?"

"Can you go tell the manager that I'm out of bags? I don't know where they're kept."

Yoongi sighed loudly. "Yeah, whatever. I'm gonna take my time though, so... bye." And then he waddled off.

"Why does he walk like that?" Taehyung chuckled lightly.

"What, like he's pregnant?" Jin laughed loudly, filling the store with the pleasant sound of a wind shield wiper.

"When he comes back we should ask him when the baby's due," Taehyung giggled. Jin wiped the tears from under his eyes, losing his shit over at the cash register to Taehyung's right. Thankfully the store was mostly empty, as it was nearly their closing time.

"Is he okay?" someone asked Taehyung, placing their groceries onto the counter.

Taehyung cleared his throat, composing himself. "Ah, yeah, sorry, he's just-"

Fuck.

When Taehyung looked up, he was met with a pair of wide, doe-eyes staring right back at him.

"Jungkook?" Tae stammered, blinking rapidly. He never in a million years thought that he would see this guy again. He had made an executive decision last night when he and Jimin got back to the apartment that he would never call or text or do anything with Jungkook's number. It was nothing personal, it was just... easier.

"Yeah, what's up?" Jungkook giggled, putting his hands in his back pockets. Taehyung looked down. He was wearing even tighter pants than the ones from last night, if that was even possible. It suddenly felt very hot.

"Yeah, I'm here too," another voice chuckled. Taehyung looked over at the guy standing next to Jungkook, who he had completely failed to notice.

"Oh, Namjoon, right?" Taehyung said politely. "Sorry, I, uh, didn't see you."

"Namjoon?" Jin repeated incredulously. Namjoon turned around and grinned, walking over to the other man to chat. Taehyung and Jungkook were left alone.

"So, how are you?" Jungkook asked sweetly. His tatted knuckles rapping against the counter were really distracting Taehyung. He wanted more than anything to reach out and trace over the lines with his finger.

"I'm good," Taehyung said distractedly, pulling his attention away from the gorgeous ink. Jungkook smiled, blushing slightly.

"Do you like them?"

Taehyung coughed awkwardly as his face heated up. So much for being subtle, Kim.

"Yeah," he admitted sheepishly. "Sorry for staring."

Jungkook shook his head, chuckling. "Nonsense, I love it when people stare. They mean a lot to me, so it makes me happy when somebody appreciates them." He looked up at Taehyung through his lashes, his smirk never leaving his beautiful face. "Especially you."

Jesus Christ.

Two can play it that game.

"Good, cus you better get used to it," Taehyung said casually, starting to check Jungkook's groceries. "I find myself staring at you a lot."

Taehyung finished checking the groceries and looked up to see Jungkook attempting to hide his flustered state. Tae smiled happily. He looked really cute.

"Say, Taehyung," Jungkook mumbled, rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

"Yeah?" Taehyung replied, printing his receipt.

"You... still have my number, right?"

Taehyung paused and thought for a moment. The only reason he had abandoned the idea of hitting up the Jungkook in the first place was because he assumed it just wasn't meant to be. He was a big believer in destiny and soulmates and all that sappy shit, and a random tattoo artist giving him his number in the middle of the night just kind of seemed like a waste of time. And yet here he was, standing right in front of him for the second day in a row looking like a complete snack.

...It couldn't hurt to try, right?

"Yeah," Taehyung finally replied. "I do." Yoongi hadn't yet returned from his little "break", so Tae was forced to bag the groceries himself.

"Well, give me a call sometime," Jungkook suggested. He smiled warmly at Tae, who felt his heart speed up.

"Y-yeah," he replied, handing Jungkook his bags. "That's $34.95."

Jungkook chuckled and handed him the money. Then he reached over and tugged on Taehyung's green apron, tracing the stitching placed directly over his heart with his long, tatted finger. "Cute."

Before Taehyung could melt into the floor, he and Namjoon were already leaving the building.

Jin came running over to him, squealing like a teenage girl. "Did you see that?" he cried, clutching his heart dramatically. "He talked to me! He actually talked to me!"

Taehyung nodded, placing a hand over where Jungkook had just touched him. The skin still felt tingly. He wondered briefly what it would have felt like if he had touched his bare skin, then pushed away the though, embarrassed.

Yoongi waddled back over to the pair, a box full of plastic bags in his arms. He looked down at Jin, who was now sprawled out across the floor, singing what sounded like Céline Dion's "My Heart Will Go On".

"...What the fuck did I miss?"