Chapter 2

Schools and other businesses are closed for the next couple of days, maybe longer, because everyone is in a state of panic, and no one knows who the next target may be.

King Damian of the prestigious royal Redd lineage is coming to the Brookville town square later today to try and calm the people. It is traditional for a King to address his people after a tragedy or during times of unrest. This event constitutes as both being that people died in the fire, and now people feel unsettled and uncertain.

Princess Melonie and Prince Henry will be there too, of course. And the King's second in command, the infamous Talcum, whose face is always shadowed by the hat he wears. No one, but the royal family knows how he really looks.

"He has a grey beard," Keefe points to Talcum.

"As do many others," I remind him, "but it's good to observe."

My eyes travel the stage, and I notice Princess Melonie pointing at Fitz and talking to the only woman in the royal guard. It was a big step on King Damian's part to try and even the playing field. The guards' name is Grace, and she sports light blue hair.

On Princess Melonie's' other side is another guard with silver-tipped hair and silvery eyes.

"What's wrong?" Fitz whispers in my ear, probably noticing my eyes narrowing.

"Nothing," I assure him, as the King clears his throat.

"Thank you all for gathering here today," the King commences, "I know this is a time of instability, but I want to assure you that we have made it our mission, as always, to keep all of you safe."

A man in green royal garb and slick black hair steps forward, "I am head of national security," he addresses the crowd, "and we are working very hard trying to find the culprit while simultaneously tightening security. We have pooled our resources together and divided them accordingly..." I try to listen as people talk among themselves.

*Princess Melonie*

Father wants me to marry. I want to marry too. I'm 18, which is a perfect age for a Princess to establish herself. But with who? That has been my question for some time now.

For centuries Princesses were forced to marry Princes, thereby narrowing the pick, and often marriages were for alliances and not love. But times are changing, and things are not how they once were. Plus, I am very fortunate that my Father, the King, is mighty and has a kingdom that extends far and wide. I can marry pretty much whoever I want.

Well, as long as he fits my Father's standards, which aren't as unrealistic as you may expect.

I stand by my dutiful bodyguard, Grace, as my Father steps forward to gather the crowd in attention. As if destiny is at play, right in front of my eyes- well, definitely in my line of vision- is an impressive looking guy with teal eyes and dark hair. I can't tear my eyes away.

I see him whispering in a girl's ear, and I can't help but get jealous. He shouldn't be talking to her; he should be addressing me. I take a deep breath and remind myself I don't even know him. He could be obnoxious for all I know. Yet somehow, I can't imagine him being so.

*Elsa*

The gathering ends, and the crowd disperses.

"So, what did you guys think of that?" I ask my friends

"I think they need to show results," Dex says, "then I'll take them seriously."

"And I think I don't like Talcum," Keefe declares

"Okay," I say when no one else says anything, "see you guys tomorrow." And with that, we all head out of the square with the rest of the crowd.

~