Chapter 5

*Elsa*

I'm just finishing up my breakfast when I receive a call from Biana

"Hey," I swipe up to answer the call

"Hey. I was wondering if you want to come over and go swimming? My house has been really quiet since my brothers left," she pauses, "Sophie, Keefe, and Dex are coming."

"I'll be there."

I change into a bathing suit and throw on a tee and shorts over it. Then I drive over to the Vacker's

The girls tan, and the boys swim. I enjoy the feeling of relaxation in the presence of my friends.

Then Mrs. Vacker brings out warm cookies and freshly squeezed orange juice.

We all go into the pool after snacking and play some volleyball—boys against girls.

Keefe keeps hitting the ball to Sophie, and we remind him she's not the only one playing.

I have fun, but I can't help but feel the lack of a missing person.

~~

*Fitz*

"Are you ready?" I ask my brother as I pull the mask over my face and pick up the sword

"Bring it on."

"Okay," Tam proclaims, "we will have three rounds. The one who wins two or three will be the one who gains favor in the eyes of our beloved Princess."

We get into the correct stance, knees bent, and one foot in front of the other. Then Alvar takes the lead, and we begin to dance around. I don't put much effort into it, and Alvar's sword taps my shoulder.

Tam's silver eyes turn to slits as he analyzes every move. "Round two. And Fitz, try harder this time."

I win one round. Adam wins two.

Then lunchtime is announced, and we head to the dining room.

As we walk, the Princess trips over her long pink gown, and Alvar catches her arms. "Are you okay?"

"Yes"

Lunch consists of broiled salmon, vegetable medley, and sweet potato souffle.

After the dishes are cleared, Princess Melonie addresses me. "Fitz, won't you join me on a stroll?"

"Of course," I say, feeling the least bit excited.