Chapter 8

*Elsa*

"Has anyone seen Keefe?" Sophie asks as we all gather together in the main hall

"I know he wanted to go exploring," Dex says

"And you just let him?!" Tam accuses, "he doesn't know his way around."

"I'm sorry," Dex says as he shrinks into himself.

"It's okay" I wrap my arm around Dex's shoulders, "we'll find him."

We split off in groups of two and go off to find Keefe. Tam and Bree, Dex and Sophie, Alvar and Melonie, Fitz and me.

"It's really great to see you again," I confess to Fitz as we walk, "it hasn't been the same without you."

We take a left. "It's nice to see you too," Fitz smiles widely, and my heart melts a bit.

We talk and walk and look, but there is no sign of Keefe.

We turn back around at a dead end and run into a panic-stricken Dex.

"What's wrong?" I ask him

"Follow me" is all he says

We take a few twists and turns before we stop. Keefe is lying with his head in Sophie's lap as she strokes his yellow blonde hair, as though trying to calm him.

It's simultaneously sweet and a little heartbreaking.

"What happened?"

"We don't know," Dex answers, "we found him lying on the floor passed out."

"I know someone who can help," Tam says, who followed Dex here. "Everyone stay here. I'll be back soon."

Tam returns with a woman who has short hair died dark blue and silvery eyes. She carries a small bag.

"I hear someone needs help," she says, scanning the area. Her eyes land on Keefe. She bends down and opens her bag, and takes out some sort of gadget, which she places under Keefe's nose. "He breathed in some sort of potion," she announces and looks back at the device as if to double-check something. "Fascinating"

"What is it?"

"It looks like a very potent potion called sparkspice. I read about it in a book of all kinds of dangerous mixtures, so I would know what to do."

"So you can help him then?" Sophie questions quietly

"I should be able to," the woman says as she opens her bag once more. I watch her in captivation as she tries all different things. Finally, Keefe's eyes flutter open, and we all sigh in relief.

"What just happened?" He asks as he looks around

"You breathed something in, and you passed out," the woman explains. "You should be fine now. But be careful." She brushes herself off and walks over to Tam. "My name is Sabine, by the way," she reaches out and pinches Tam's cheek. And this is my son. Cute, isn't he?" She walks off

"She seems sweet," Biana tells an embarrassed looking Tam.

Sophie keeps her hand looming over Keefe's back as we walk, in case he needs the support.

"I'm glad your okay," I hear her tell him.

"Me too," Keefe replies with a smile.