1. Love is Blind

Geneva Johnson peered hopefully at the handsome bartender from Lights. He was tall and broad with ears that stuck out just a little bit. His eyes were striking blue and when he smiled at her, Geneva could see one perfect dimple. Oh, he was definitely Mr. Right. 

        "Another drink?" His voice was a low rumble and Geneva found herself leaning forward, becoming entranced by his easy charm. Bartenders were always trouble for her. They had almost limitless opportunity to tangle themselves with a multitude of lovers. Dangerous. She looked down at her drink and thankfully saw that it was still mostly full so she shook her head with a polite smile. His flirtations were harmless, a quirk of his job.

        It wasn't against the rules to actually talk to her clients, or be seen by them, but most Cupids could do their work without the interaction. Geneva enjoyed being in the field, talking to people, and getting them to meet organically. Also, she had really shitty aim and was pretty hopeless with the various magic tricks that Aphrodite imbued her Cupids. One of which, importantly enough, was invisibility. 

        "Do I have something on my face?" The bartender, Brian, leaned in and ran a hand over his angular jaw in a way that Geneva knew was blatant flirting. She must have been staring him down again. Okay, so he was more flirtatious than Lizzy liked. But his extroversion might be a good balance for Lizzy's aching shyness when she was out of her element.

        It had taken more than a month to convince Lizzy to go out with her. She'd scoped out several bars and picked this one because Brian worked here consistently. The stud was bartending his way through graduate school, studying engineering. Lizzy was a super organized personal assistant to the vice president of an app building company. But secretly, she was learning how to program and was planning on quitting her hellish job. 

        The intended couple's common ground was diligence in education, a love for dogs, Italian food, and —strangely enough, BDSM. 

        But the reality of Geneva's power was that she could see their love, like a glowing red string connecting them. It had been a tediously long knotted string, but she'd moved through the tangles patiently. Only when it was free of knots did the Cupid feel comfortable having the two meet. Untangled string wasn't a frequent occurrence because people had their own will and moved and interacted with others often, causing the strings to overlap and knot. But tonight was supposed to be perfect.

        She gave Brian the benefit of a giggle but dropped her appraising gaze to her Cosmo. She couldn't draw his attention too much, no matter how ridiculously cute she thought he was. She'd picked him for Lizzy and come Hell or high water, Lizzy was going to love him. And of course Lizzy would love Brian, it was meant to be. Ever since Geneva began doing the matchmaking the hard and tedious way, her success rate was one hundred percent PERFECT.

        Geneva checked her phone and saw that she'd been here for the last hour without a word from Lizzy. It was unusual that the girl would be so uncommunicative. The Cupid was half expecting to get stood up again; Lizzy was infamous for this. 

        The last time Geneva tried to convince Lizzy to go out, she'd said that her mother was sick. The time before that, she had to take care of flight arrangements and transportation for her boss. So, by now, Geneva had a heavy dose of skepticism and worry. Lizzy always gave her an excuse. She never just...Ignored the request to come out. 

        "Hey, why the long face?" Brian asked her. Geneva looked up at him, startled. 

        "Uh..." She replied stupidly.

        Was he still flirting with her? This was the issue with being a Cupid. She had the glow of love on her and it attracted people. Every now and then, even Lizzy felt the pull. But aside from the mystical powers of love, Geneva was also attractive. She was cinnamon-skinned with a feline quality to her features. Her cheek bones, her chocolate brown eyes, her black eyebrows all subtly angling upward. Even her lips, full and shapely, curved up at the corners naturally as though she were on the brink of smiling. She'd dressed drably to show off Lizzy more, but her body beneath the ridiculous sweater was feminine and curvaceous. Her hair was pulled back tightly with a hairband but poofed into a perfectly styled puff of tiny black curls at the crown of her head.