A Miracle

The air was crisp inside the medical wing. Birds chirped happily outside the fogged windows. Madam Pomfrey hummed to herself as she tidyed up her work space for it was 3:00 pm, a time when normally not much occurred.

You had no idea how long you'd been out. Opening your eyes slowly, you peered about the room before you. You were laying on a small white cot and a curtain was pulled to hide you from unwanted eyes. You shifted slightly, bringing sharp pains to your limbs. You whined softly. Looking down, you noticed that you were still in wolf form. Bandages were wrapped tightly around your midsection, guaze slightly poking out of the edges. There was a cast on your left back leg and a smaller one on your right front paw.

You heard shuffling towards you and tensed up, not knowing who was walking towards you. The curtain was thrown back quickly to reveal Madam Pomfrey. Her eyes were wide with awe and hope, a smile spread across her face.

"You're awake! How wonderful! Just wait till Severus hears." She exclaimed happily.

She quickly went over your bandages, making sure everything was clean and well placed.

"You must be thirsty and starving, I'll get you some food and water. Wait one moment."

With that she disappeared. You wanted to get up, but couldn't. Footsteps appeared again, licking your dry lips, you prepared to see Madam Pomfrey come around the corner with water and food, but instead you saw Severus practically running towards you.

"Y/n! Thank Merlin. Madam Pomfrey just told me you were awake. I was so worried."

He placed a hand gently on your side, careful not to hurt you. He stroked your head, trying to comfort you.

You raised your head at him, questions forming on your face.

"You've been out for a week. Madam Pomfrey wasn't sure you would make it this far." He choked out, tears forming in his eyes.

"She said it was a miracle you survived. The troll had punctured one of your lungs and put several holes in your abdomen. Your legs and a few ribs had also been broken when it threw you into the wall."

You lowered your head back onto the small pillow.

A week? What had happened while you were out? Who had taught your classes? What did they tell everyone else?

Just as you had finished your thought, Madam Pomfrey returned holding a tray of meat and a bowl of water.

She placed it down before you, making especially sure the water was within your reach.

You lapped thirstily at it, almost finishing the entire bowl in one sitting. Your stomach growled angrily, so you began to delicately eat the meat, not sure how much you could handle.

Madam Pomfrey took Severus to the side, leaving you to eat in peace.

"It truly is a miracle she survived, Severus. She might not be so lucky next time." She whispered.

"I know... thank you, for your help."

"She should be able to go back, to whatever wolves do, within the next hour or two." She replied, gently squeezing Severus' arm.

Madam Pomfrey then nodded and walked away, allowing Severus to once again sit beside you.

You had finished your food and looked at him happily. You gave him another small wag of your tail in an effort to bring him some sort of comfort.

"What am I going to do with you?" He smiled, shaking his head gently and wiping his eyes.

After a few hours had passed, Madam Pomfrey unwrapped your bandages. Certain that you were completely mended, she helped you to your feet and escorted you and Severus out of the medical wing.

You let Severus lead the way back to his quarters, padding softly behind him. Several students passed the two of you in the hallways, glancing nervously at you. They had never seen such a large wolf before, let alone this close.

Finally, your reached the dimly lit room. Once inside, you sat down by the sofa and meditated on the warm, happy thought of  Severus. Immediately, you transformed back into your human self.

You sat, exhausted on the couch, wincing slightly, Severus sprawling out beside you.

"Mmmm. Thank you, Severus." You told the man sitting next to you.

"For what?"

"For saving me. If it wasn't for you taking me to Madam Pomfrey, like she said, I wouldn't still be here."

"I should be the one thanking you, y/n! You're the one who jumped on top of that troll, if it wasn't for you I'd be smashed into nothing." He stated shocked.

You then smashed your lips into his, ignoring the pains that shot through you with the quick motion. Your arm snaking behind his neck and his around your waist. He leaned in closer, hungry for your touch. It had felt like years since the last time you had kissed.

"Let's call it even." You pulled away, smiling.

"Very well." He replied with hooded eyes.

The rest of the afternoon the two of you lounged about his quarters. Severus was telling you all that had happened whilst you were out.

"What did they tell the students and the other professors?"

"Dumbledore told them you had some urgent business to attend to in the U.S. The other professors didn't seem to be suspicious and the students seemed relieved to have one less class to attend." He replied simply.

You nodded. It was amazing how easily Albus could come up with excuses that seemed true.

"I probably should go and prepare for my next class. The students are going to hate to have to do more work in order to catch up." You groaned.

Just as Severus hated grading, you loathed it almost more.

He placed a quick kiss on your lips.

"I'll see you tonight, at supper, right?" He questioned.

"Of course. I haven't eaten much the past week, I'm still starving!" You chuckled at him.

As you stood to leave, you placed a returning kiss on his forehead.

Upon reaching your classroom, you shut the door behind you. No sooner than you had sat down, the door clanged open with an angry Umbridge stomping towards you.

"The absolute NERVE!" She yelled.