Chapter Four

He tugged at the sleeves of his tux jacket, straightened his back, and admired his reflection in the mirror. He adored parties...especially when he was the center of attention. Though the party was to introduce the ladies to the royal court, he was head of the court — under the king of course.

He grumbled at that thought. Always second, never first. That was something he wanted to rectify...but that would come in time, for now, he was going to enjoy the attention.

Arriving at the palace, he exited his limousine as the staff and guests bowed to him. He adored having people at his feet. He relished every moment of it. That's where they belonged anyway.

Passing them by, he hauled in his tracks. There was one man, a guard that was not bowing. Anger flared in his eyes like flames. He snapped his fingers, "You, guard. Come here." He pointed to the ground before him as the words left his gritted teeth.

As the guard neared, he studied him. He had never seen this one before. He narrowed his eyes and demanded, "What is your name?"

"Mark." The guard informed.

Henry locked his jaw, "Perhaps you have not been informed...but everyone must bow to me as I pass by." Mark made no effort to rectify his mistake. He only stood there.

Henry clenched his fist and narrowed his eyes, "Bow to me!"

Mark shook his head, "I cannot bow down to you, Prime Minister."

Henry glanced around, then asked annoyed, "Why not?"

Mark smiled, "I can only bow down to God."

Henry grabbed Mark's shirt and pulled him near enough to hear him whisper, "If you will not bow to me willingly, then you will kneel in pieces!"

Henry pushed him back and marched inside. Fuming. How could the King allow such disrespect in the palace?

He for one would not allow such things if he were king. This was a perfect example of why those Christians should not be allowed in their country.

First, you let them worship their God, then they tell you they will not follow your rules.

That was treason as far as he could see it. And all those who commit treason would be hanged! He would see to it if it was the last thing he would ever do.

But that matter would have to wait. At least for tonight. Henry reminded himself to enjoy the party. No need to let such a stupid man ruin such a good evening.

One by one the ladies were introduced and entered the ballroom. Henry smiled at all the beauty that laid before him. Though one stood out among them like a diamond. The maid.

His lungs stalled. He could understand why the King was entranced with her. She stole his own breath away. But it would be a disgrace if a maid became the Queen, he reminded himself.

He would have to discourage her.

With a small speech, he opened the ball and the orchestra began to play the Gardonian waltz. This evening the Prime Minister had the pleasure of the first dance with the contestant of his choosing.

He stood and walked straight as the dance floor cleared. Bowing to the maid, he extended his hand and asked, "May I have this dance?" Though he knew she could not refuse.

Taking his hand, she curtsied. "It would be my pleasure, Prime Minister."

A slow smile twisted his lips as he pulled her tightly against his chest. She tried to pull back, but he was too strong for her. Her eyes showed worry and discomfort. She was out of her league and it showed.

A grim expression washed over his face as her features softened. She straightened her shoulders, arched her back, lifted her chin, and smiled. Falling into step with him. All traces of uncertainty was gone.

It was as if he had suddenly changed dance partners. She now looked confident. With poise and grace, she glided across the floor with him. She looked every bit like a Queen.

"Don't look now my dear, but the entire room has their eyes locked onto you." He whispered, trying to throw her off balance. She graced him with another smile.

It unarmed him. She was indeed beautiful. Her voice flowed off her tongue like honey, "I'm sure they are only envious that I have the pleasure of being your partner tonight." Her effort to flatter him worked. He enjoyed nothing more than to speak of himself.

"You know, this dance is meant to be a romantic one." He grinned, squeezing her waist tighter and pulling her to angle her face to his. She smiled again, "Yes, it's a shame the King could not join us."

He drew her into the final dip and sighed, "The King is here." He nodded up toward the balcony as she raised her eyes to see. The waltz ended and a roar of applause was heard. With another bow, Henry assured her, "You are as pleasant as you are beautiful. Enjoy the rest of the ball, my dear."

With a final bow to her, he raised his head and saw the guard from earlier watching them. He frowned. Not bowing down to him was just another reminder that he would always be second.

He swore under his breath — with a word he fondly used. He would never accept being second. He had done far too much to get where he was today just to let a stupid little guard diminish him. Henry promised himself that man would pay for his transgressions. Things would turn out fine.

Yet as he walked toward the King, he couldn't shake the niggling doubt that he had made some kind of a mistake tonight. One that could very well come back to haunt him.

* * * *

The King sat there, tapping his thumb on the corner of his chair as he awaited the report from his Prime Minister. He had watched every moment he had with Katherine. Anger was slowly festering within him. He knew he had no claim on her yet, but to see her in the arms of another man infuriated him.

Especially Henry. He had held her quite a deal too close for his comfort. Even for the Gardonian waltz. The more he thought about it, the angrier he got.

He was supposed to be watching all the women. Watching how they handled themselves — and yet, the only woman he could watch was her.

Henry stepped near him and bowed, "Your Majes—"

"Sit down." Alexander cut him off. Henry obeyed, though his expression was that of annoyance.

Looking down from the balcony, Alexander continued watching Katherine converse with the other members of the royal court.

"Very nice."

At the comment in his ear, Alexander jerked his head around. Henry was checking out Katherine over his shoulder.

Annoyed, Alexander edged him back none too gently with the palm of his hand, "You're a married man, Henry." Henry grinned, "So were you."

Alexander locked his jaw and stood."The next time you are near one of my potential brides, you will do yourself well to remember that she could be my wife. And your future Queen. Show her the respect she deserves!"

Henry's eyes narrowed and he dared ask, "All of them or just that one?"

Alexander clenched his fist and Henry rose from his seat. The king's face hardened, "If you do or say one more word to Katherine without it being that of praise then you can consider your role as my Prime Minister at an end! Do I make myself clear?"

No response.

The king asked again, slowly prognosticating every word as he towered over Henry, "Do. I. Make. Myself. Clear?" Henry gritted his teeth, "Crystal clear, Sire."