Chapter Twelve

The moon was clouded. A soft breeze had picked up causing a chill to sweep through Katherine as she made her way to the hedge maze. She stumbled over the cobblestone path and nearly twisted her ankle, but she recovered.

As she entered the maze she saw a glimmer of light, so she followed it until she reached the center. A beautiful gazebo covered with white lights and hanging purple Wisteria flowers sat in the middle of the maze.

A silhouetted figure stood in the center. As she neared, he turned to her. Alexander smiled and rushed to her. Wrapping her in a warm embrace, then tracing his thumb over her cheek, he whispered, "Hello, beautiful."

Her pulse took a leap. She smiled, "You call me beautiful like it's my name."

He grinned, "Are you telling me it isn't?" He restrained himself from kissing her, though he wanted to.

Taking her by the hand and he led her to a small bench inside the gazebo. As they sat, she asked, "What's troubling you?"

He sighed, "I'm guessing you haven't seen the newspapers?"

"What newspapers?" She asked, completely confused.

He clasped his hands together, bringing them to his lips as he rested his elbows on his knees. "Well lets just say the press is enjoying our kiss almost as much as we did."

Her eyes widened, "Oh, no...someone did see us. I'm so sorry. I've caused you a great distress." Her voice cracked and he wrapped her in his arms.

"You have nothing to apologize for!" He assured her. "I was the one that kissed you. Not the other way around... and besides that, you need to know that I'm not the least bit sorry for kissing you. I only regret the extra attention you may have to endure because of it."

She sighed, "What are we going to do?" He shook his head, "I'm not sure."

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Both lost in thought. Finally, Katherine asked, "Why didn't you tell me that you were married before?"

He studied her with a creased brow. Then his features softened and he leaned back, "I assume mother told you. How did that go?"

She frowned, "I don't think she likes me very much. She asked me to withdraw from the contest." He straightened up, angry and annoyed, "She what?" He stood and paced, "How dare she! She had no right to do that!" He was fuming.

Katherine sighed, "Please don't be angry with her. She was just trying to do what she thought best I suppose. But don't think we're changing the subject. You still owe me an explanation about your wife."

He grumbled.

"Please?" She asked.

He clenched his fist, trying to get his anger in check. Exhaled with a sigh and sat beside her again. She was right. He did owe her an explanation.

"I guess I was trying to overlook that part of my life."

Her brow furrowed, "Overlook it? That is a pretty important part of your life to leave out."

He nodded, "It isn't a pleasant memory. But you're right, you do deserve to hear it. I have to do a little backstory though or it won't make any sense."

She nodded and settled in for the story. He sighed and placed his arm around her shoulders as he began.

"Her name was Victoria. She was practically bred to be Queen. She is my third cousin through my mom's side. Anyway, she had been raised all her life to marry the King. Our parents had agreed to it. It was an arranged marriage. There was never any choice to it, it was just understood that this was how it was going to be."