Chapter Ten

He sighed with pure delight as he held the document in his hand. This was it. The law that would put an end to those Christians once and for all.

He smiled with satisfaction at his ingenious plan. This proclamation would allow him to hang the treacherous traitors right in his own courtyard.

He laughed maliciously. He had already commissioned the building of a seventy-five-foot tall gallows to begin. That was his wife's brilliant idea. She was always the one with the flare for showmanship.

It would easily be seen from almost anywhere around his property. That delighted him greatly. He wanted nothing more than to demonstrate to all that this is what happened to people that crossed him.

He was sure the king would not mind. He would see the need to rid himself of traitors to the crown as well...and if he didn't well, it wouldn't really matter anyway.

It wouldn't be much longer and there would be no king. That was if everything went according to plan. And it would, of that he was sure.

Everything had been planned out. It was just a matter of time before the king would be assassinated and then without a hire to the throne, Henry would rule.

Leaning back in his chair, Henry linked his fingers behind his head, grinning like an idiot. It was almost too easy.

A knock caused him to turn his attention away from his marvelous scheme. A guard entered and informed him of his visitor.

The king's mother, Charlotte. What could she want?

Perhaps his wife, Zelena had invited her...no, that couldn't be it. Today was bridge day, she would be at the country club all day.

He stood as the guard announced her. She entered and sat in his leather back chair before he even had a chance to greet her.

She crossed her legs and propped her purse on his desk.

"Sit down, Henry. I have a great deal to discuss with you." The muscles in his face twitched. He hated being ordered about. Especially in his own home. Still, he sat as she instructed.

"What can I do for you, Madam?"

She laced her fingers together on her lap and lifted her chin. It was a dig-in-her-heels, ready to battle gesture he had come to recognize.

Funny thing...it reminded him of Katherine. Over the past months of the competition, he had observed the same trait used by her on numerous occasions when the need would arise.

"Tell me about her, Henry. I want details." His mind immediately thinking of Katherine again. What she could possibly want with her, he could only speculate.

"To whom are you referring, Charlotte?" He had done business with her in the past and had known her enough years to address her by her first name he felt. But the look on her face and the further flattening of her lips told him that she did not reciprocate his conclusion.

"You know whom I am referring to. Katherine. The maid. The one my son is infatuated with."

Henry leaned on his desk and weaved his fingers together. "All I know is that if you want anything done, you'll have to do it yourself."

"I beg your pardon?" That was more of a statement than a question. It was apparent his answer was not the one she was looking for.

He sighed, "Look, you know as much as I know. She's gorgeous. Her prior occupation was that of a maid and your son thinks she hung the moon."

"Yes, I know all that, but what I want to know is: why? It's not as though he hasn't been around beautiful women. If I understand correctly, you've been quite involved in providing him many such antiquates at certain points his life and yet he never acted like this before. So what's different about this one?"