Chapter Eighteen

Katherine inhaled deeply as she neared the cathedral doors. Fans and reporters flocked towards her taking dozens of photographs, coming as close as the barriers would let them.

This was it. She was about to marry a man she hardly knew.

Did he even love her? He said he needed her and that she meant more to him than she knew but what did that mean? Was it love or just desire?

Her lungs staled when the doors open. Maxwell stood there. He quickly closed the doors behind her. The noise from the crowd died down when the six-inch thick doors sealed shut.

Maxwell turned to her and smiled, "May I be so bold to say that you take my breath away. You make a gorgeous bride, Katherine."

She felt her cheeks flush. She dipped her head., "Thank you, Maxwell. Let's hope the King shares in your sentiment."

Maxwell nodded. He knew his place. But he would be lying if he said that he didn't envy the king. He only hoped Alexander realized what a jewel he was truly getting in Katherine.

"I know he will." He hesitated, then leaned in close to whisper, "I'm sorry Mark can't be with you."

Katherine drew in a shaky breath and nodded, "I'm ready." Maxwell smiled, "Then its time."

He gave the musicians the cue and as they began to play Lavender's Blue and the children's hospital choir sang the words as the doors opened for Katherine to walk down the aisle to the King.

A lullaby wasn't the traditional royal wedding melody, but it was the song Katherine and the King had chosen together and little Tommy led the choir at the King's request.

She locked her eyes on to Alexander. He stood there, tall and proud. Much like she remembered seeing him for the first time. Though this time instead of sadness in his eyes she saw joy and what she could only hope was love.

He took her by the arm, smiled, and whispered, "You look stunning."

The ceremony was quite different from any she had ever attended. But finally, they were pronounced husband and wife to roaring applause.

They exited the cathedral and got into the carriage awaiting them at the foot of the stairs. They would be taken back to the palace down through the city square so everyone could get a look at their new Queen.

The carriage door was shut firmly by Maxwell, who informed them he would be following closely behind.

With a nod, the King gave the go-ahead and the carriage took off. Alexander squeezed Katherine's hand and leaned over to her, whispering in her ear, "How does it feel to be the Queen?"

She shook her head, "Surreal. Like I'm in a dream." She gazed at the growing crowd standing on the edges of the street cheering and throwing flowers towards them.

The people seemed happy and full of hope for their future. She smiled and waved to them. Commenting softly to Alexander, "Your people seem quite proud of you." He returned her smile, "Our people...and I certainly hope your right."

As the palace rose into view, a sicking feeling sunk in the pit of Katherine's stomach. Just a few minutes more and they'd be in the reception. The thought of what might happen there worried her. Would she become a widow just as quickly as she had become a wife?

Sensing her fear, the King gave her hand a gentle squeeze. They locked eyes. An apology ran through his. She nodded. She knew what she was signing up for when she agreed to this...at least she thought she had known.

"Everything will be okay. I promise." He assured her.

Don't make promises you can't keep.

She kept that thought to herself as the carriage pulled up to the palace stairs. They made their way down the long corridor, the music and conversation drifting down the hall to them.

With another gentle squeeze, Alexander released her hand and offered her his arm instead, "Well, my Queen, are you ready?" Her heart was beating at an enormously fast rate. Her hand trembling as she slid it into the safety of his arm.

Resting his free hand atop of hers, his features softened. She was scared. He couldn't blame her. The truth was he was a little afraid himself. Maxwell's warning kept echoing in his mind:

Don't eat or drink anything. Only shake hands with your gloves on.

Strange to think that he could be poisoned in his own home. He turned to her, "Katherine?" She stared deeply into his eyes, "Yes, Alex?"

Leaning over, he gently kissed her cheek, "Whatever happens in there, I need you to know that I —" He hesitated. This wasn't exactly how he had planned to tell her.

Her eyes searched his face, "You what?"

He let his free hand caress her face, he whispered, "I love you."

The blow of the trumpets announced their arrival, "Their Royal Highness's, King Alexander and Queen Katherine of Gardonia."

Alexander took hold of her hand and led her quickly to the doors. Waving with his free hand to the crowd gathered in the ballroom. Katherine did the same. Though she gripped his arm tightly, needing him to be near her. He smiled and glanced at her.

He liked that. He felt needed and wanted, and not in the way most people needed him. They greeted their guest warmly, shaking hands and making small talk.

Katherine was in awe of how gracefully and tactfully he worked the crowd, never seeming worried a bit, yet she knew he was watching everyone closely. She watched his eyes. He was studying them and he was doing it with ease.

She looked for Maxwell through the crowd. She didn't see him, so she looked for Mark. She didn't see him either. She inhaled sharply and forced herself to think positively. Believing no sign was a good sign. Maybe they had captured the assassins and the worst was over. She certainly hoped so. Catching her staring at him, the king smiled at his bride and winked.

It set off a flutter in her stomach. He said he loves me. Oh, Katie, why didn't you tell him you loved him? You know you do...what if you don't get the chance? What if they succeed with their plot before he ever knows how you feel?

"May I kiss the bride?" a voice asked from behind them. Turning, Katherine's stomach knotted. It was the Prime Minister. I might throw up. She glanced at Alexander, hoping he would say no.

The King grinned and gently pulled Katherine closer to himself, "I'm afraid not. I'm quite jealous."

Henry managed to muster a laugh and said, "Well you can't blame a man for trying. Honestly, I would be too if I were you. I'd say it's about time for your first dance, isn't it?"

Alexander smiled and turned to Katherine, "What say you, Your Majesty?"

Your majesty...that's a funny thought.

Nodding, she graced him with a smile, "Nothing I'd like better." He led her to the center of the ballroom and nodded towards the conductor, who cued the musicians.

He slid his arm around her waist and pulled her in close, he locked his eyes onto her. She felt like they were the only two in the room. She wished they were alone.

He nodded, "I wish we were alone too." Her lungs stalled. How could he read her mind? He chuckled, "I'll tell you later."

She grinned flirtatiously, "You promise?" His eyes lit up as a grin tugged at the corner of his lips and he nodded, "I promise."

Maxwell managed to catch the King's attention once the dance was over. With a nod, Alexander took Katherine's hand and headed to Maxwell.

He tried to speak as discreetly and softly as possible, "Your Majesties. We have detained the guests. We caught them in the act. Trying to spike the punch."

The King's eyes hardened, "Take me to them." Katherine squeezed his hand, "But—" He kissed her cheek, "I'll only be a moment."

He had a guard stand with her as his mother neared them. At least he knew if she was with his mother she would be safe. Perhaps annoyed, but safe.