Chapter Fourteen

She peeked through the curtain a misted the sea of photographers and journalists and shut it quickly. Her nerves were about to get the better of her. She felt like she could lose her lunch at any given minute.

Not that she'd had much lunch — who could eat at a time like this. Guards stood on either side of her. She assumed to make sure that she didn't change her mind.

The King stood nearby with his mother and the Prime Minister. He looked a little more rested than the time she had seen him last. The Queen Mother refused to make eye contact with her. She was sure it was because of the disgrace she had brought upon their good name. Funny the more she thought of it, she had done to them what she was afraid of being done to her. Shamed them. And as a result, she shamed herself.

If only she hadn't listened to Prime Minister Henry. He stared through her. It felt like he was gazing into her soul and it gave her chills. It reinforced his message from last night all too well...He had driven his point home personally with a dagger to her throat that he would ruin her and her family should she speak of his involvement in their little business transaction.

She contemplated telling the King...but she was afraid of Sir Henry's threat being a promise so she decided she would keep her mouth shut.

It would all be over soon, she assured herself. Then she would never have to worry about him again. She would be headed to her estate immediately following her statement. The car motor was already running.

King Alexander made eye contact with her and gave a slight nod to assure they were still on the same page as he stepped through the curtain to greet the press.

She could hear his calming voice through the heavy fabric that separated them as he addressed the crowd.

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the press, thank you for joining us today in what is sure to be an enlightening experience. As you are aware, there has been a great deal of speculation as to the identity of the person that leaked the photos that has been on the covers of nearly every newspaper and magazine around the world. I for one would like to apologize to the young lady in the photographs. She would never deserve such humiliation and if it had not been for the zealousness of your King, her dignity would not be in question."

Isabella's heart sank. He was so sincere in his regret for Katherine's humiliation. He placed all the blame on himself. It made her wish all the more that she had never done such a disgraceful thing. She listened intensely as the press drilled him with questions.

"Did you take advantage of the contestants?"

"Have you created a Harem?"

"Was the contest merely a publicity stunt?"

"Did you ever have true intentions of selecting a Queen?"

Question after question, the King answered them with grace. She was amazed at how calm he remained despite their grilling him with intimate questions. She shook within herself as she feared what they might ask of her. She considered running. But there was no point. They would just find her eventually no matter where she chose to hide.

She drew in a shaky breath as Maxwell drew near with Katherine. She expected Katherine to chew her out from one end to the other. She would have every right to, and Isabella wouldn't have blamed her one bit. But instead, Katherine's response shocked her.

Wrapping her arms around her, Katherine embraced her in a warm hug and whispered, "I'm so sorry you're going through this..."

Sorry, I'm going through this? Her response to the situation was so kind and understanding, it surprised Isabella and showed her once again a glimpse of the character Katherine possessed. They spoke only for a moment, but when Maxwell ushered Katherine away, Isabella felt warm inside. Like somehow, someway she could actually be happy too, one day. She understood now why the King said he had chosen her. She was every bit of what a Queen should be. Yes, she was beautiful on the outside, but her heart radiated with a beauty that she couldn't quite understand or explain.