Chapter Nineteen

Alexander's eyes smoldered as he neared the would-be assassins. Fist clenched. Henry followed closely behind, "Uh, Sire? Why are you going to the kitchen?"

"Not now, Henry."

"But —"

The king turned and grit his teeth, "I said not now."

Henry's eyes narrowed and he followed the King like a shadow. They turned the corner and Maxwell pointed to the two men tied back to back in chairs.

Alexander loomed over the two guards. "Well, here I am. Would either of you like to try out your plan now?"

They squirmed under the pressure. "It wasn't our idea!" one said. The other yelled, "Shut up, idiot! We're in enough trouble already without you digging us a deeper grave!"

Henry's gut twisted inside. These two imbeciles were going to ruin everything...he had to do something. Fast.

"Sire, why are these guards tied up?" He asked as innocently as possible.

Alex huffed, "They tried to kill me."

Henry gasped, "They what?"

The King sighed, "You're lucky that today is my wedding, otherwise I might not be so generous. Maxwell have these men questioned and thrown in prison."

Henry stuttered, "Uh, b-but don't you think hanging these traitors would be a better way to set an example?"

Alex cut his eyes at the Prime Minister, "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness, Henry. The beast in me maybe sleeping, but he's not dead."

Henry nodded, "Well, as you said, today is your wedding day. Why not let me attend to these two brainless excuses of human beings? Your bride and guests are waiting."

Alexander sighed, it would be easier to let Henry handle the situation than answer a lot of nosy questions due to his absence. Reluctantly, he nodded, "Alright, but get them to talk. I want to know who planned this assassination attempt."

Henry gave a small bow, "Of course, sire."

The King and Maxwell retreated back to the party. Maxwell asked once they were out of earshot, "Do you think leaving Henry in charge was wise?"

Alexander turned. Brow creased, jaw locked, "Don't make a habit of questioning me, Maxwell. I'm not in the mood. He may or may not be the best decision, but he is right about one thing. My bride is waiting."

Maxwell felt the heat rise on the back of his neck as Alexander put emphasis on making it perfectly clear once again that Katherine was his and his alone.

Maxwell nodded, "Yes, sir." He sighed as the King turned and entered the ballroom. When would he realize that he would never try to take her from him?

If he wanted that he would have made sure to fight for her himself. He did love her. It was impossible not to, but he would never break the King's trust.

First and foremost he was loyal to the King. Regardless of how he felt himself. He would never let there be anything other than friendship between Katherine and himself.

 * * * *

Henry turned to the guards, pulse racing, eyes fuming, "You fools!" They flinched.

Thankfully, he had prepared for their stupidity. He pulled out a document from his coat. He made them sign the confession. Then, he sent for other guards who escorted them to be hung. What the King didn't know wouldn't hurt him.

Besides, he had the power to issue a hanging on his own if it was in the matter of a national treat or a treat to the monarchy and he had to protect himself. This was the best way. They would be too much of a liability now. Too much of a risk. One he was not willing to take.

This confession he had written up was the perfect touch to his master plan to get rid of the Christians. Claiming that their religious leaders had paid handsomely for the King's death would be a great incentive to get Alexander to sign the law to kill them. He needed the King for that since he clearly was not in control of the country yet.

Regrettably, he would have to deal with the King for longer than planned, but it might prove to be an advantage. The King's royal signet was unbreakable. Not even the King could change the law once it was sealed with his signet ring.

A smug grin filled his face. Fear is a powerful motivator. One that could be inflicted on anyone. Even a King.

A malicious laugh rumbled in his chest. It was almost too easy. He would get what he wanted after all.