Chapter 1

--Jenna Caldwell--

'Have a holly jolly Christmas, it's the best time of the year...' Blared through the speakers as I made my way through the packed room. People around me were all decked out in Christmas themed clothing, making my green sweater and jeans feel out of place. This was the second annual Garner Christmas party, and I wish I would've never agreed to come. I'm not one to want to go out to these things. Crowds don't seem to be my thing. To make matters worse, my best friend Carol left me all alone to talk with some guy she just met. Garner isn't a big town, but during the holidays, when families come to visit, it seems to get more and more busy.

I weaved in and out of crowds, as I made my way towards the back of the room. There seemed to be more room in that particular area. "Jenna!" I heard a familiar voice shout. I smiled and turned to see Ms.Betty with her slick backed gray hair coming towards me. "Hey Ms.Betty." I gave her a hug as she squeezed me tight.

"I'm so glad you came! Please enjoy yourself!" She exclaimed and I nodded. I thanked her before she ran off to greet some other people, and my eyes fell onto the crowd. 'Please let me find somebody I know...' I silently begged and I sighed when it seemed I wasn't going to be that lucky. I have only been living in Garner for about a month now, so I haven't made too many friends. I recently graduated from college with my degree in photography, and then found a job here in garner at a small little studio that needed a helping hand. They were the only people that were hiring, so I jumped at the opportunity. So here I am in little Garner. It was an easy move, being that I don't have any family anywhere. My parents passed away a year after I went to college, and I don't have any siblings or aunts and uncles. The closest I have to family is my friend Carol who I met in college. She also majored in photography, and we applied together for the position. Luckily they needed two hands, and we were the two chosen...

My thoughts were interrupted when someone bumped into me. I stumbled and felt this person's hands grab my arm to help stabilize me. "I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there." The man said. I noticed he had a really deep voice. I looked up at him, he had a Santa hat on his head, a elf sweater, and a pair of black jeans on. He looked to be about my age, and he wasn't that bad looking. "Are you okay?" He asked frowning and I looked away. "Yeah, I'm good." I smiled at the ground. I realized that his hand was still on my arm, and he slowly let go. "I haven't seen you around before.." He stated and I looked back at him. Okay he was really cute.

"Yeah.. I'm kind of new here.." I said nervously. I have never been one to talk to guys. I was the plain girl, with my brown hair and green eyes. I wasn't too thin, but I wasn't too fat. And I had nothing compared to what some girls have.

"Really?" He smiled and held out his hand, "My name's Scotty." I hesitated before placing my hand in his and shaking. "Nice to meet you Scotty. I'm Jenna." I smiled back and he nodded. "Well Jenna, how long have you been in town?" He asked letting go of my hand and focusing on me. "Well.. I moved here a few weeks ago..." I explained noticing his eyes move from me to someone coming our way. I instantly knew who it was when I heard their voice.

"Jenna there you are!!!" Carol shouted as I turned to see her pushing past people. "I've been looking everywhere for you and..." She stopped and her jaw dropped. "No freaking way!!!" She exclaimed and I noticed she was staring right at Scotty. I frowned and he scratched his neck. "What?" I asked looking back at her. She stood frozen in her place and I sighed. "Scotty this is Carol, Carol this is.." I was cut off by her laughing. "Jenna are you serious? Everybody knows who he is!" She explained and shook his hand. "I'm a big fan!" She smiled and I frowned. What does she mean everybody knows who he is?

"Thanks." Scotty smiled. "I was gonna make sure you were okay, but I can see all is good here." She winked at me and then smiled at Scotty. "You two have fun. I'll see you later Jen!" She waved and wandered off.

I heard Scotty chuckle and I shook my head. "Sorry about her. She means well." I smirked and he nodded. "Don't worry about it." I relaxed a little and he motioned towards a table that was set up. "Want to sit and talk awhile? It's away from the rest of the crowd." He suggested and I nodded. He must not be too fond of crowds either.

We took a seat at the table, and chatted for a few hours. He seemed like a nice guy. He grew up here in Garner, and played baseball. He was surprised to find out that I was in photography, and he actually seemed to listen to my interests.

"Scotty boy!!" I heard a guy said and I saw a few guys walking to the table. "Hey guys!" Scotty smiled and stood to his feet to hug his friends. I sat awkwardly wondering if I should leave. "Guys this is Jenna, she's new to Garner." Scotty introduced me and I knew that I would be staying. "Nice to meet you Jenna! I'm Kyle, and this is Collin." The man with short hair shook my hand and smiled. I smiled in return, "you too."

Scotty chatted with his friends for a few minutes, and I stood and listened. They were talking about some football team, and I decided to scan the room. I have never been too big of a football fan. "Hey you guys want to ditch this party to go and see the showing of Elf at the movies?" Kyle asked and I looked back at him. He was looking between Scotty and I.

"Oh I don't want to intrude.." I shrugged. "You won't intrude, come on!" He smiled and I nodded. "Okay." I answered. I was hoping he would say that. I was having a good time getting to know Scotty, and his friends seemed nice. "Alright! We will meet you guys there!" Kyle waved and headed out the door followed by Colin.

Scotty turned to me and smiled. "We can take my truck if you want." He suggested. I returned the smile and nodded. "Sure thing. I just have to let Carol know since I came with her." I explained. Scotty understood, and followed me until we found Carol. I explained that I was going with Scotty and her friends and she nodded barely listening. She was standing surrounded by guys and I chuckled. "See ya later Carol." I waved as Scotty and I headed towards the door. She waved back and then turned back to the guys.

"Well she seems to be enjoying herself." Scotty chuckled when we walked out the door. I laughed and noticed that the temperature had dropped since I last was out here. It probably would've been better if I grabbed a coat before I left. "Yeah, she always seems to find herself some fun for the night." I replied falling in stride with Scotty. "What about you?" Scotty asked glancing over at me. I held back a laugh and shook my head.

"I am the 'stay home and watch movies with a tub of chocolate ice cream' type of girl." I explained and he nodded. I saw him smile for a minute and then he pointed to a truck. "There she is. That's my girl Loretta." He said proudly, "and Loretta, this is Jenna." He held open the passenger door for me and I giggled. "Nice to meet you Loretta." I replied taking a seat. Scotty shut the door behind me, and ran over to the drivers' side.

"Loretta likes you." He smiled. "I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks Loretta." I replied and he flipped on the radio. "You should, Loretta is very picky when it comes to girls sitting in her." He winked and stopped on the local country radio station. They were playing George Strait, 'Check Yes or No' one of my favorites. "I love this song." I smiled at Scotty and he smiled back. "Me too! Don't be afraid to sing along, in fact I will join in if you do." He grinned.

I wasn't much for singing in front of people, but I decided that I would let that go for now. I sang along, and Scotty did as he said. He joined in and sang with me as we drove down the road. I must admit his voice is really good! I felt more relaxed with the fact that I could be myself around Scotty. Maybe tonight wouldn't be as bad as I thought it would.