Chapter 1 - Meet the Islanders

The studio lights brightened as I took a seat on the red stool. The camera lens tilted to align with my portrait, and I saw myself reflected on the wall of monitors. Next to the camera, a producer took a seat in a black chair with a clipboard of notes. She instructed me to answer in full sentences and speak directly to the camera. I nodded and ran one last hand through my hair as she counted down, and the light on the bulky TV camera turned red.

"What is your name, age, your occupation, and where are you from? And then give us some smiles, some model poses, etcetera." She didn't look at me but instead surveyed my application.

"My name's Maddie, I'm 22, and I'm a college student from Indianapolis," I said. I glanced at the producer who didn't meet my eye and smiled at the camera, then offered some poses to be used in a montage during the show's premiere.

"Perfect, and why have you come to Love Island?"

"I came to Love Island to find love and make new connections-" I paused as the producer looked up. "That was so cheesy." I laughed nervously at myself, and luckily a few crew members empathetically joined in. I think even the producer cracked a smile. "I'd like to find a great guy who will love and treat me kindly. I guess I'm looking for someone I could have a future with; someone that's my best friend. I've had trouble finding a relationship that I can be myself in, but I hope I can find it here on Love Island."

~

I shook off my nerves and began my walk down the famously long outdoor hallway. The stone path was lined by beautiful flora. The exotic flowers were interrupted every few yards by a polished wooden column supporting the palm leaf roof. As I got closer to the back garden, fans hanging on either side of the entrance blew my hair back behind my shoulders and lined my arms in goosebumps. I stepped into the garden and looked around. To my left, an excessive amount of throw pillows decorated colorful couches in the outdoor lounge. The pool sparkled several yards in front of me with the hideaway in the background. And to my right, two other bikini-clad girls were pouring generous glasses of champagne at the outdoor bar. The blonde looked up and gasped loudly when she saw me, causing the brunette to spill a splash of the alcohol onto the bartop.

"Hi!" I crossed the patch of grass and stepped onto the covered deck. The blonde rushed to hug me first, pinning my arms at my sides.

"It's so great to meet you, I'm Polly," she pulled away from the embrace and looked up at me with bright blue eyes.

The brunette had set the bottle of champagne down on the counter. "I'm Peach," she said to me. She walked forward and hugged me. "Nice to meet you. That is the cutest bathing suit." Peach pulled away and scanned me approvingly.

"Thank you! It's one of my favorites! I absolutely love yours, too. That pink is so cute!" I grinned at her.

Polly looked between us, then down at herself. "Mine's okay. How are you guys so tan already? Did I not get the memo to fake tan before this trip?" She laughed, and Peach and I smiled kindly.

"Actually, I'm mixed," Peach said.

Long legs, black curly hair, and a bright yellow two-piece swimsuit stepped onto the grass and stole the conversation.

"Over here!" Polly shouted.

The woman turned her head and smiled kindly at us. "Hey, guys!" She started walking toward us. Polly met her halfway with a hug. "Oh gosh, you're stronger than you look," she said as Polly's white arms wrapped around her torso like a python. "I'm Giselle."

Peach and I introduced ourselves. "Where are you from, Giselle?" I asked.

"L.A.," Giselle said. "Born and raised."