R O U N D - 1

>Important note: Bold represents parts the characters speak out loud or mumble.

>Italics: Inner thoughts.

The audience boomed with applause and encouraging words for the swordsman they supported

It has been just a tournament, but the arrangements were so grand, Ella thought as she sauntered around the ring, observing every nook and cranny. 

No wonder the royals planned this.

The arena was glistening with blinding pale lights and flaming candles. The women were busy sipping on expensive champagne and staring at husky gentlemen, pointing and laughing among themselves.

 Ella huffed as she forced down her cloak far below her forehead attempting to conceal her identity.

The gentlemen on the other hand were sitting eagerly, eyes fixated on the ring and palms glittering with sweat. All their coins were betted on the Swordsman they considered the ablest. Ella walked through the arena dragging her heavy heirloom behind her, the sword, layered with her blood, sweat, and tears throughout the age.

She had to stand out, she had to leave an impression if that wasn't enough. This was her only chance, and she wouldn't let go of it that easily, Ella thought as she gripped tighter on her blade.

The competitors named oaths, they put forth their most valuable person or item if the victory goes in their hands, their valuable oath, if it is a "person", they get to meet the royals, maybe touch them if they are lucky enough. If it is an "item" it gets to be sited in the royal palace as a landmark of the swordsman's victory. Either is considered a great honor in the Dalia Empire.

Nevertheless, if one loses, if it's an item, gets stepped upon by the boots of the royals as a sign of dishonor, and if it's a person they would be enslaved to the palace for life.

Ella grabbed her sword and gazed down at it with hope and nervousness. The tournament didn't scare her, but the rules certainly did, it was an all-mens tournament, it had forever been. Ella stood veiled and tall as she stared at the ring.

All I have to do is get in the ring without being recognized, the rest I'll conquer.

Ella reassured herself. She tilted the sword, causing the moonlight to shine on it. She took a deep breath, held her hands together, and looked upon the sky.

"Dear God, I fear nobody but you. I ask for help from nobody but you. Today, I placed my terror behind me and took a hold of my only precious possession, my sword. Help me, dear God! Help me win! I put all my trust in you. I have always trusted you!

After her little prayer, she sheathed her sword back into its binding. She whipped her head back to the entryway as she heard sudden murmurs and the noise from the crowd.